VFR touring upgrades

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jcm, Jan 14, 2003.

1. jcm

jcm New Member

I'd like to hear opinions about touring upgrades for my 01: bigger windshield, luggage, bar risers (Gen-Mar, Heli-bar, Speigler, etc). Also with saddles, Corbin vs. Sargeant.

2. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Hey JCM:
    I have added the following touring mods to my '98:
    ZG Touring screen, Sargent WSS seat, Givi Winrack with 22 litre side cases and E460 topcase, Vista Cruise throttle lock, Heli Bars, Gel Grips.

If I had to do it over again I would get the seat first - the best mod absolutely. The only thing I would hesitate about is the Helibars. I'm pretty sure I could have adapted to the stockers soon enough, although it is pleasant to be able to sit back and stretch a bit easier now. Possibly not worth the money in the long run.

The great thing about the Sargent is the dual seat means you gain a ton of storage under the cowl.

3. vfrhugh

vfrhugh New Member

I've logged 2 - 3000 mile trips on my 2000 VFR with the following modifications to my bike.
    Two piece Sergeant seat without the passenger seat. I drilled out the bolt holes and use ball pins to secure the rear cowl. I also modified the inner fender by cutting out the middle section and lowering it about 2 inches. I know it doesn't sound like much but I carry rain gear, tools, flat repair kit, extra gloves, bike cover, & a pair of flip flops under seat and cowl. This modification with a 14 liter Marcy tank bag is all I need for a week trip. I have no problem with stock bars. I've done several 600 mile days although 400 is my preferred max. Basically travel light and the motorcycle is allot more fun when you get in the twisties. I tried a double bubble wind screen but the stocker is better
    . ;D

4. Guest

Guest Guest

vfrhugh: Can you provide details of how you lowered the inner fender? Any photos?

Dee Duble Yuh

5. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I put the Gen-Mars on my 02 last week and felt immediate relief in my hands and wrists, and I don't feel that my riding position has changed that much. I don't feel any more upright, just less pressure on the hands. No more numbness!
    Also, if anyone has compared a Laminar Lip to a more conventional touring windshield, I'd like to hear what you think.

6. Patsfreak

Patsfreak New Member

Map
    I have the Sargent Seat, too. Great upgrade. I have thought abot doing the same kind of mod to the under cowl area, since you cannot get the Tailocker anymore :'( ) My bike came w/ the Helibars installed and I really like them too, but cannot compare the stock bars to them.

I also have the Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen, Gel Grips, adn ThrottleMeister (GREAT for th e longer days on the road).

I also really like the TourMaster Cortech TriBag Tankbag System.

Get out and RIDE!

7. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Can anybody recommend a rider to pillion intercom? Ideally one I can link a walkman/mobile to. Any ideas where to get a good deal?

9. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Collett Communications 900 Mhz communicators. The new models have jacks for music, phones, etc,... They work great for bike to bike, and driver to passenger. Ours has an open channel common to all units made, and it has a private club channel unique to our units only. We bought four on the same club frequency. The neat thing about the passenger version is that while you are on private, both of you can hear what is being said on the open channel. When you are on the open channel, both of you can talk with other bikes.

The voice activation works fine up to about 100mph before the wind noise makes the mike stay on. There is a short learning curve where you have to get used to placing the mike correctly in front of your mouth and for adjusting the voice activation sensitivity just right. Once you get the hang of it, you will reflexively turn the sensitivity down when you get up to speed, and then turn it back up when you slow down. It works out to about 1-1/2 miles line of sight.

They are weather proof. Trust me! ;)

Adios,

10. unyalli

unyalli New Member

Map
  11. VifferMan

VifferMan New Member

Okay. Here I am in the middle of installing HeliBars on my 2001 VFR and the right side (throttle side) switch mechanism has two phillips screws that hold it in place. So I remove the screws, but the assembly won't budge off the bar. I can't see any other screw or bolt to remove to slip off the switch and throttle assembly from the bar.

Any suggestions from someone who has done this?
    The left side stuff all came off and went on just fine. But I'm stuck here with no shop manual. There must be a trick to this or Murphy is sitting on my garage roof and chuckling to himself.

12. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

You have to pull the two halved apart. There is a pin that fits into a hole in the bar that keeps the housing from spinning around the bar when you twist the throttle. You cannot just slip it off the end of the bar.

13. JRotten

JRotten New Member

About seats, I have come to this conclussion after riding to Canada/Montana from California with a stock seat and then riding to the Honda Hoot at Knoxville, TN from California with a custom Corbin saddle. Custom seat wins... Big time! Even though my Corbin saddle is much firmer than the stock saddle, it is still more confortable than stock mainly because there is no pressure points along the legs to cause discomfort even after riding 1200 miles in a single day. Pressure points can cause a lack of circulation that can cause numbness/pain.

Yes I went to the Corbin Factory (Hollister CA) where they measure me and fitted my seat. I was a little apprehensive about the Corbin saddle being firm, but after logging over 6000 miles in 10 days on it with no problems of confort, I was extremly please about spending $350 on a saddle.

As for other tour upgrades, I have Corbin bettle bags and Givi trunk to hold all of my stuff while I am crusing down the road. Both work well keeping things dry during the down pour of heavy rain.

I have three wind screens (stock, Zero gravity Double Bubble, and Givi tour). The Givi so far offers the most wind protecttion if I am postion right, but I get lots of buffiting/wind noise if I bring my head out of wind protection. Since the Givi doesn't look to appealing, I use it only when I am touring and use the Zero Gravity as my everyday wind screen. I am still looking for the perfect wind screen for touring and if anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know.