DIY Tire Balancing

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Kevin_70, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Got my new Michelin PPs installed and the shop can't balance my rear tire/wheel. The nearest Honda dealer is offering to screw me just fine to balance the tire, so I'm thinking about trying this DIY one and save $ in the long run.

Anyone have any experience with this thing?

http://www.marcparnes.com/Honda_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

2. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    There's a company called "No-Mar" that makes a gravity balancer with an assortment of cones. I just bought one, but I haven't used it yet. It sure looks like it'll work though. Where in Placerville are you?

3. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Thanks for the reply, Longerfellow. You in my area? I'm minutes off HWY50 in the El Dorado/Diamond Springs area, Missouri Flat exit.

4. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm in Pollock Pines. I can pull my rear tonight and see how it measures up. I can let you know tomorrow how it works out. To be honest, I'm curious myself. Like I said, I just got it and haven't tried it yet.

5. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Right on, we're really close. Let me know how it goes, I'd gladly throw a few $$ your way to "rent" that tool really quick.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    as a matter of fact, I bought the very same. we could probably get Tori to ship it up for you to use for a couple bux then ship back. Tori has been keeping it down at his place. We started doing the tires down there cause he has access to more tools. If you decide you want to get your own, marc is very nice and will walk you through the first time using it if you like. or one of us could do the same. it's not too hard and gets it balanced pretty well AFAIK.

7. HondaDavidson1090

HondaDavidson1090 New Member

im a mechanic..i have access to a manual balance machine and an electronic balance machine..i use neither! get a product called "Balance Plus" it is a liquid and turns to a gel with in 2 miles. I have put this in my tires, went out for a few mile ride and took the wheels off and put them on the electronic balance machine. They zero out. You also dont have to worry about messing up your finish on your wheels or throwing a weight.

8. elizilla

elizilla New Member

Mystery tire slime, yuck! I had a shop change my tires once, and they put that Balance Plus stuff in there. Next time I changed the tires, pink goo went all over everything, it made a big mess.

And I don't trust it. I wouldn't be surprised if your tires would have balanced without the mystery tire slime. Sometimes they do just come out right without any weights, you know.

9. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, had parent/teacher night last night and by the time we got rid of the babysitter etc. I just wasn't into it. I did uncrate the tool this morning and set it up on my bench so I'll get to it tonight. If it works you could probably just ride up and do it.

10. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I appreciate the offer, Reg, thanks. If I go that route I'll just end up buying it myself since this won't be the first time I can expect this issue.

11. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

thanks Longerfellow, that's cool of you :thumb:

If I don't order the Marc Parnes balancer today I might take you up on that offer.

12. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok. I tried out the balancer last night and it works great.

13. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Sent you a PM

14. schnabba

schnabba New Member

I have the marc parnes unit - and I just setup 2 jackstands, and place it between them (most resourceful I have seen was the tops of 2 antifreeze bottles as stands).

anyway - balances great - used it on the magnas (front and rear tires) - had a "hex key" stuck in a rear tire of the interceptor, and got the replacement tire on tuesday - used the balancer for that.

works great on the rear tire of the interceptor (with the adapter of course!) - can balance it within 0.25 oz with those stick on weights. The no-mar one was a second choice, but this one fits real nice in a drawer in my toolbox when not in use.

Definite "must have"