What you don't want to know about oil & filters!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by FlyBoy, Sep 7, 2003.

1. FlyBoy

FlyBoy New Member

Check out these links... more than you'd ever want to know about your high-dollar "motorcycle" oil.

[url]http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm [/url]

I wonder - do any of you here use automotive oil in your bike? You also might want to check out the following link regards filters. Have you ever seen how the various filters are put together? I cut a Fram filter apart today. What a piece of trash. It has cardboard end caps, and a bypass valve that must have been designed to not exceed .02 cents to build. I wouldn't use this piece of junk on a Chinese lawnmower.

See .jpg's of all the common motorcycle filters taken apart:

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/index.shtml

Cheers, FB

2. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

Re: What you don't want to know about oil & filter

I've been running Castrol GTX 20w50 in my bikes for years. My Ducati 900SSCR has 53k miles, of which 24k were put on by me. My BMW had 77k of which I put on 31K. I haven't changed the oil on my VFR yet, but I should, as I've had it for awhile. I'll probably put Castrol in that, too.

3. vesper

vesper New Member

Map

I used castrol gtx for many years as well. I was just informed however, that it was reformulated for the newest SJ classification, which is bad for motorcycles...

(?)

4. Motomaj

Motomaj New Member

Map

:eek: now this is what i call a real eye opener!! man!! ya know i have a 98vfr and have also had numerous off road hondas. no wonder they last!!! :D :D :D

5. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Just so I'm clear on this, no one has any problems using conventional (meaning car) oil and not motorcyle oil? It seems to make sense to me. It would be nice to save some cash. You know every little bit counts when you're trying to save up for the BMW the wife's been asking for...

I used to be a mechanic in the USAF before I switched to a flying job and we used OIL, GENERAL PURPOSE 30WT in everything we worked on regardless of what the engine manual said to, never had a problem that I can recall linked to oil.

HWORTH

6. VFRDavid008

VFRDavid008 New Member

When to Change the Oil, Then?

???So, when are you guys and gals changing the oil in your motorcycles? I like to change mine every 3K, but I commute and subject my bike to more wear in a shorter period of time. 3K in a car, in just about any driving condition, is TOO often; 7-10K is recommended by auto experts outside of the oil companies' publishing desks. Hell, if viscosity drops to 65% of the original level by 1.5K, should oil in bikes be changed sooner? Or could I reasonably change it after four-, five-, or seven-thousand miles? ???

7. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map

Very informative...thanks!