VFR800 recall

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by MrDe, Sep 22, 2007.

1. MrDe

MrDe New Member

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    HONDA / VFR800 2002-2005

Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V359000 Mfr's Report Date : AUG 14, 2007
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 6952
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE FRONT FAIRING SUB-HARNESS (SECTION OF THE WIRING HARNESS) TRANSFERS THE ELECTRICAL GROUNDING LOAD OF THE HEADLIGHTS, FRONT TURN SIGNALS, INSTRUMENT PANEL, AND VARIOUS RELAYS TO THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS VIA AN 18-PIN CONNECTOR. UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, THE GROUND WIRE TERMINALS INSIDE THE CONNECTOR CAN OVERHEAT, RESULTING IN MELTING OF THE CONNECTOR AND A LOSS OF POWER TO VARIOUS CIRCUITS.
    Consequence:
    AS A RESULT, A LOSS OF CRITICAL LIGHTING OR ENGINE POWER COULD OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING, WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RE-DESIGNED SUB-HARNESS. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND, THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS WILL ALSO BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING SEPTEMBER 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Got a letter from Honda yesterday about this .... anybody else? Plan on talking to my dealer next week. I've got 12000 travelin' miles and no problems yet.

2. difficultboy

difficultboy New Member

I recieved my letter last week. It says don't ride the bike, but it also says Honda will notify me when the parts are available to fix the problem. In other words "don't call us we'll call you. After 14,000 miles with nary a problem I'm not too worried, besides its due for a valve adjustment. Kill two birds with one stone, right.

3. Tango Charlie

Tango Charlie New Member

Hey guys, got my letter about two weeks ago...what...a...bummer!! I haven't noticed any issues with my 05'-4100 miles- but I'm trying to do the right thing and not ride the thing...but dang. I did call my local dealer and thet are up to speed on the recall, but no parts yet. I hope Honda gets on the ball quickly.

4. slowdownman

slowdownman New Member

november

I talked to honda today they are expecting parts to be sent out starting in november.

Has anyone experienced this failure?

5. vfrman67

vfrman67 New Member

hey guys, i got my notice a month ago and on my last ride, thankfully it was in the day time, my headlights went out and everytime i turned my blinker on, the motor died. i was about 60 miles from home and decided to head back. when i got the bike up to about 70mph and 5k rpms the dang thing cut out on me and restarted. it did this about 5 times on the way home. pretty scarey stuff. so i noticed a buzzing noise under the windshield and i tore into it. not sure what the modules are but there is 2 of them right under the windshield and they both make a loud staticky noise. i replced them with new ones but it did'nt cure the issue. so, i just pulled them out for now. still no lights but the engine doen't cut out anymore. my buddy had the same issue a while back and he took it in to the shop and it turned out to be a grouding issue. hopefully honda comes out wit the fix soon.

by the way, i have a 2003 vfr800 non abs with 19,000 miles

6. cirv

cirv New Member

I talked to my dealer 10-2-07 about this recall and he said he was waiting for the parts to arrive at the warehouse. When he gets the parts he will call me to set appt to change the wiring harness. Obviously he was well aware of the issue and was very pleasant to deal with. cirv

7. najory

najory New Member

I am mystified about this.

I have a 2003 VFR and when I called a honda dealer he knew nothing about this nor did he say there were any recalls.

Are the recalls different for the UK market or is it (like the cynic in me says) that we don't have so many law suits - Honda are keeping quiet?

N

8. SPOTTHEDOGG

SPOTTHEDOGG New Member

recall

The recall is not taking place in all countries from what I have read on the other forum. There is some work you can do to your harness to improve the situation yourself and there is a guy selling an upgrade kit for the 6th gen I think it is Wire My Bike

I did have the warranty work done and then I had a fire:mad:
    I got the new stuff in again and added extra ground points and ran extra hot wires from RR to battery directly. There is also a monitor wire fix that is easy to do and will stabilize your system voltage.

9. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    Well...I finally checked and mine was taken care of in 07 :cool:

10. oops

oops New Member

My bike is in a shop in Reno. Fried stator and rectifier, and the shop says after speaking with Honda rep my Vin falls into the recall list for the US. There seems to be a problem though as it doesn't seem Honda Canada has out this bike on their list for the recall. This makes no sense at all. Dangerous is dangerous. 2 stators in one year! They say the front wire harness is the cause.

11. NormK

NormK New Member

You are just one of the thousands than have stator/rec/reg failures There is modifications you need to do and the dealer won't be doing them, when you get it back do the "Drill" and get rid of that shithouse connector that Honda continues to fit that WILL WILL WILL fail over time and usually takes out both stator ant rec/reg, goes on at least once a week here. You have been a member here for nearly 2 years so you should be aware of these problems. The dealer saying it was the front wire harness is because they don't know, but here the problem is a daily happening and the causes and fixes have been worked out by members here, no thanks to Mr Honda

12. oops

oops New Member

Yeah...thanks Norm. They are still willing to release from a shop a known recall. That I don't get. Interesting.

13. NormK

NormK New Member

When you get it back solder and heatshrink the stator wires and rid yourself of this bloody connector. The problem is not just on the 800 it is a problem on EVERY VFR that Honda have built

14. oops

oops New Member

Will do as well as the green wire ground in the blue connector. I'll probably do that on the road. Long way off right now. New harness and stator/rectifier being installed. I was just curious why Honda's rep admits the VIN is in recall but may not pony up for the repair because it's a Canadian bike. If not I'm shelling out large tomorrow, to get my bike back.

15. oops

oops New Member

Thanks again Norm.

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I would be making contact with Honda Canada soon as I got back and find out why the recall in the USA and not here. I would be quite demanding too. Mine is an 06 so the recall would not have applied in any event. I have been through two stators on mine now, first on lasting something like 80,000 MILES. Broke down in Vegas. The replacement aftermarket stator burned out in only two years in Regina, but after riding through Nevada again! Must be that Nevada radioactive air I guess.

I suppose two stators in 190,000 km is not too bad all things considered.

17. oops

oops New Member

Too true.