Looking for Ohio viffer riders that can actually ride.

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by mello dude, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hi,
    I hooked up with a couple VFRD guys over this past weekend. They were on 6th gens and both had Helis- heated grips and the hard bags. I ride a 5th gen that has been over discussed in these forums.

We were headed for the major twistys around Marietta Ohio. (Ride RT 26 if you get a chance.) I usually give people the benifit of a doubt but my first impressions was -- oh-oh, these guys are just touring riders and faux sport riders.

Well, I was right! These guys were bad! One said he had 9 years and the other 11 years riding experience and yet they rode like beginers. They tiptoed around ever corner barely on the gas. Leaning the bike over with the throttle on was a foreign concept to them. They might as well go get a Gold Wing.

At the first break I pretty much gave them a major earful.

I am no AMA pro, but I have no problem hanging off a bit and rolling on the gas thru the turns and setting up for the next one. Thats is what makes it fun.

Any Ohio riders out there that would like to hook up that like to burn the corners?

MD

2. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I think you need to move to the West Coast, no tip-toeing out here :heh:

3. Big3

Big3 New Member

damn my "begginer ass" rides harder than that

4. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I knew I shouldn't have installed those heated grips :mad: it's prejudiced my fellow forum members :wink: Now I'm a poor sport.

I guess I'm just a loser sport-TOURER. The good news is I don't have bar risers :wink:

I'd be inclined to ride with you MD, but alas, I'm likely to be much slower, :yield: and I'm hours away in MD. :biggrin: Good luck finding buds that can turn and burn with you. :smile:

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    :eek:
    I think thats part of the 5th gen vs 6th gen argument - the 6th attracts some heavy Touringbias riders that wouldnt wouldnt have even considered the bike if Honda had chosen to amplify the 5th gen concept for the 6th gen. Part of why hardcore 5th gen fooles (me) shun the 6th. IMHO

MD

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll buy that arguement :wink:

Maybe I am a poser and should be on an RT1200, but that's twice the price and 1/2 the fun. I don't understand trouble of not riding through the street corners as hard as Casey Stoner (congrats) on his motoGP bike. I guess your (former :redface: ) riding pals must have passed themselves as better than they were?

The VFR does what I need and lets me challange myself on the long, curvey way home. That do-it-all nature of the VFR is what endears me to it. I only have the one bike... to go fast :biggrin: (well, fast for me:tongue:) and slow on. Perhaps, maybe, it is the 6th gen Viffer's cheap, long-in-the tooth, slightly underpowered, and getting overweight similarity to me that caused the attraction? Either way, I think we could agree that we both like the bike. :biggrin:

peace.

7. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map

8. cruzinaz

cruzinaz New Member

Map
    mello dude,,,how did you get your name??
    " At the first break I pretty much gave them a major earful."
    HAHA, LMAO, been there did that, now I just make sure everyone knows, ride your own pace, I'll wait for you at the next stop.

There is 4 of us here that ride "spirited?" pretty much all the time,, if you ever get this way let us know! I think you would fit right in

9. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

When joining a new group of riders, it's always a good idea to check their tires to see how far they lean. If the "chicken strips" are a mile wide, and you want to do some carving, just walk away.

Also, if they are wearing baseball shin guards and bragging about how fast they are (after you blew past them 20 miles ago) try not to laugh too hard so you don't embarass them!

10. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I'd rather ride with riders who are a little more cautious, than picking a "faster" rider out of the ditch. I can always wait a few minutes for the others to catch up, as I would expect faster riders to wait-up for me. I would never encourage someone to ride over his/her head. Is there a law that says that a sporty bike MUST be ridden fast, and that a Goldwing MUST be ridden slowly? A friend of mine rides a '85 Wing, and scrapes the pegs and bags in the twisties. I've seen him pass tons of very fast riders on the Dragon and on other twisty roads. You should see their faces when he goes blowing past them leaving a trail of sparks behind him while hanging off the bike. :eek:

neOhJoe likes this.
  11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    - cruz - mello dude is sorta a Dr Jeckle/Mr Hyde foole... Dr Jeckle is a way laid back devil may care slacker foole,,,, Mr Hyde is fricken high strung, hyper "A" adrenaline stress man, banchie impatient perfectionist foole, thus a bit of tonque in cheek sacasasm -- mello dude? Yeah, right !

- to the 6th gen guys I just expressed my consern for there safety, just bad line thru corners, no abilty to adjust/point the bike in mid corner, just overall just bad skills that could get them hurt. It was just a sence I had while following them from the back. (Later in the ride I did the lead,wait, lead, wait thing) I figured one was an accident waiting to happen and recently I found out that - yeah, he went down 2 weeks afterward.

- To the point if you are gonna be a motorcyclist, you better aquire the skills to stay alive....Of course I think most of us already know that.

Ride well people,

MD

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, I have bar risers, a sargent seat and was thinking of grip heaters. :) I also have a vista cruise yet to install. I like to think I ride brisk enough without being too dangerous. I quite often do the lead wait lead thing. Especially if we hit gravel, right RW?

13. hottstuff_284

hottstuff_284 New Member

Map
    I can see why you may not want to ride with real slow guys, but I agree with some of these others. I think you are better off with a slower group than a stupid one. Best cure for the problem is ride alone or with people you know VERY well. I'd go but I'm not near OH. Good luck.

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Well theres a big difference between stupid and skill.

MD

15. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Skill is demonstrated on the race track, Stupid is demonstrated on the street.

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I just mean I want to ride with people who are competent skilled riders that know what they are doing. Gotta have skill for the street. Stupid is riding over your head - something I dont do and dont wanna ride with someone who does..

MD

17. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with GenLightening - You can usually just look at the tires on a persons bike and see if they are leaning. It is sad that there are people who will spend money on a new bike and get every option and will then try to learn how to ride on populated public streets and highways without any type of instruction (why would a dealership let anyone like that leave on a bike - answer MONEY). I am not judging anyone and different people ride for different reasons. If you are used to riding with aggressive riders then it may be hard or boring to ride with new riders or other riders who can ride well but like to cruise and take in the sights. I am not a speed demon or very aggressive, but if I am going out of State with a group of riders I expect to be crusing on the Interstate at about 80mph in formation. Of course this is something that needs to be discussed before taking off. A new rider may want to consider riding where they are capable of riding safely. When I was a new rider I did need to get out there and work on stuff. It is safer and better (in my opinion) to work/ride with a friend that knows what he/she is doing. I had nobody to work with an opted to spend money for training. New riders who are at an intermidiate level and can safely ride on the highway at 60 - 70 mph should consider clinics and trackdays to work on skills (cornering in particular). When I decided to start riding again after 20+ years of not riding (I was never that good of a rider to begin with anyway) I took the MSF BRC course and shortly after that by pure luck I found the Lee Parks "Total Control" book. I found out that there were Lee Parks ARCs (Advanced RIders Clinic) given in an area I could reach so I went to his clinic. Lee Parks ARC is for intermediate and advanced riders who want to learn how to corner and lay the bike down correctly and safely. It is not uncommon for riders in the clinic to be able to drag a knee while doing transitions (figure eights) at the end of the clinic. You also get information and classroom instruction for setting up suspensions on motorcycles. I really got a lot out of the clinic so much so that I went back and took the ARC Trainer's clinic and certified as an ARC coach. I am a BIG Lee Parks supporter because shares his knowledge and skills, but I also have great respect for Keith Code (Sultan of Cornering) and Kevin Schwantz (Road Atlanta) when it comes to rider training. Both Keith and & Kevin do really good instructional trackday sessions for street riders and potential racers. Oh yeah Lee Parks loves the VFR!!!!!

18. (none)

(none) Guest

Wow, lots of traffic here...
    Well Mello Dude, I'm a little ways south of you (Cincinnati), but if you want to ride sometime, hit me up. But i have heated grips and hard bags though (no helibars)... I rode with some of the VFRD guys a few times to Marrietta area last year (you didn't ride with me, the only 5th gen of the group was a female from Michigan), and some of us ride up to McConnelsville area to ride 550 and some others. I'm always the youngest in attendance (23). Down here i usually run down KY St Rt 10 and some others. Let me know.

19. JRotten

JRotten New Member

MD,

I have been meaning to explore more of Ohio. I have a buddy that I visit that lives in the Dayton area which is 5 hours away from my home. How far are you from Dayton?

Also, you need to come and check some of the rides in Missouri. The Ozarks have some damn good roads.

20. hondabill

hondabill New Member

United States
    Map
    Mello dude there a few of us in lancaster that ride hocking hills area quite a bit look me up. Big3 and I will show you around. I ride a 5gen he's got 6gen but doesn/t do bad for newbie