Maintenance Costs & Long-Term Reliability?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by LitzerSki, Nov 13, 2007.

1. LitzerSki

LitzerSki New Member

Map
    Hi guys...new to the forum & prospective VFR owner here. This post is mainly geared towards 6th Generation owners, but I'm grateful for every bit of input from you all.

First off, I'm new to the sport-touring world. Currently I own 2 Triumph air cooled twins...the Thruxton & Bonneville America. I'm looking to sell my America (can't stand the cruiser style anymore) and pick up something that will better fill my current needs.

So far I've test-ridden the '07 VFR, the Triumph Sprint, and the BMW F800ST. The BMW had PERFECT ergos, but didn't seem to be a proper long-haul bike...also many have reported engine & ABS problems. I'm currently up in the air between the Triumph and the Honda. Now note that I have absolutely no brand loyalty, but the Sprint is a fine bike. After sitting down with a few Triumph techs, they reassured me that I could do all of the regular mantenance myself as long as I have a shop manual and the proper tools, which I would invest in.

Currently, I'm looking for my Iron-Butt bike. Something I can get on in the morning, not stop till I'm in GA, and then ride the hell out of those Northern Georgia mountains when I'm down there. I ride 20,000 miles a year and plan on riding my next bike till its death, so resale value doesn't matter at all to me. I plan on owning my next bike for around 5 years and running it for about 100,000 miles. But maintenance costs do matter to me. I can't afford 3 sets of tires a year, paying big $$ for insurance (as I know will happen), and pay $400 3 times per year to have my bike in the shop. Currently I perform all maintenance (including valve jobs) on my 2 bikes and consider myself quite competent at spinning a wrench. Of course, the air-cooled Triumph twins are very user friendly, and I learned all I know from working on them.

I have no idea what maintenance is like on VTEC engines, and this is why I address you fine folks. First off, how many of you do your own valve jobs? For those who don't, what's the valve check schedule and what does it cost per instance? What other regular maintenance would be needed?

Also...how many miles have you Gen 6 owners racked up on your bikes and what problems have you had in the meanwhile?

Sorry for the long post...thanks for bearing with me.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    welcome to the site. as far as comparing the BMW and the VFR, someone did that in cycleworld recently, I think, and gave the nod to the VFR. Comparing to the sprint, it gets closer I think. As far as reliability, I think the honda prob comes out on top but I have no data to back that up. I have no exp with the triumph at all. I ride a 5g with 50k on it and I like it, I go through at least 3 rear tires a year, though.

3. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

I'm baffled how some of you go through tyres so quick, i got over 10k out of my Bridgestones before i changed them. As to servicing costs, can't give you US prices as i don't live there, but when i owned my 02 vtec, just regular servicing at the required intervals and no issues for 5yrs. Every 16k you have to have the valves done, but even that's come down in price to a respectable level now.

4. LitzerSki

LitzerSki New Member

Map
    Does anyone do their own valve jobs?

5. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

I'm not an expert on the VTEC, but I do know Hondas -- oil changes, air filters and the very occasional set of spark plugs. They won't let you down. I had no problem taking a 7 year old CBR to new york and back this summer. It had its first ever tune up before the trip... Everything looked great.

As for tires. Avon Storm ST's are great year-round tires. I've got 10k miles on one set and they've got lots of life left.

6. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    Do you mean valve adjustments?

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    me too. I got 4000 mi out of this last conti road attack and that was with the 1700 mi trip up north so lots of slab miles. I still had tread on the sides but there was thread showing in the center. I have a bridgestone bt020 on the rear now so we'll see how she compares.

8. base341

base341 New Member

Sorry to hijack,
    Longerfellow, I see you're a tool fan...I've got tix to the LA show and both Las Vegas shows.. Are you going to any shows on this last leg?? can't wait..
    hijack off..

9. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    You bet!

I've got 4 for the SF show!
    ...back to VFR's...

10. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    I just noticed you're in Placerville. Where?