Clicking noise and no start

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by chickenvoodoo, Nov 20, 2007.

1. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

OK, I charged up the battery yesterday and when I got home I tried to start the bike (VF500). When I pressed the start button, all i heard was a clicking / whirring sound from the bike. The RPM gauge then startd showing the RPMS were about 2-3K

I still need to start the proces of detection on what is wrong but based off this info I am thinking it is a bad starter, it's not hooking up or does not have the power to turn the engine over.

has anyone had this type of problem before?

also any links on good repair manuals for the 86 VF500?

TIA!:smile:

2. koorbloh

koorbloh New Member

I had a similar sound when I accidentally unhooked a ground wire. Turns out, it was necessary, and the bike roared to life after that!

3. opm81

opm81 New Member

sonds like it could be your starter solenoid i had a similar prob on a duke a few years ago,
    ollie

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    first check with voltmeter to make sure you have a minimum of about 12.5 volts at battery, if less than that may be time for better recharge or new battery.
    try using jumper cables from a car to start.
    if bad solenoid, you can jump the two terminals on it to send juice to starter.
    if starter is turning b ut not engine, the problem is starter clutch.

5. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

It was the starter..... after providing power directly to the starter while on the bike and not hiving it start, I pulled it off the bike, provided direct 12V power and ground and it still would not spin....So I opened it up and the smell of burned wires etc. filled the garage, burnt parts of the starter fell out.

So I picked up another starter, put it in, and the bike fired right up the first time....

Now I just need to locate the ticking noise...it sounds like it is coming from the left side of the bike, lower engine area........

6. JasonJ

JasonJ New Member

There is a diaphram mechanical fule pump on the bike under the left side cover. When you turn the key the pump primes and you can here it click. Thats a good thing :wave:

7. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

The 86' 500 didn't have a fuel pump right? at least I know mine doesn't...

8. JasonJ

JasonJ New Member

It may not, I see the 83 VF750 had one, it's a round can that lives by the rec reg. I dont recall if my 86 VF500 had a pump or not.