DC to Indy, MotoGP

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hatzyian, Nov 20, 2007.

1. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

I'm looking at holiday options next year and thinking of flying into Washington DC, hiring a bike, then riding across to Indy for the Moto GP. Then it would be down to Faber in Virgina, and then back to DC. I'm thinking of 3 days from DC to Indy, then a slowish 10 days down to Faber.
    Is this a reasonable time scale, any places "must visit" on the route, and whats the weather likely to be, September.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way, as it will be two of us, myself and "the boss" I'm looking at hiring a Goldwing or even (whisper) a Harley!!!)
    Thanks

2. Ancon

Ancon New Member

United States
    Map
    I think your time scale seems reasonable from DC to Indy. Not sure what places are a "must see" when travelling to Indy, but on your way south FROM Indy, I would highly recommend hitting "Deal's Gap" (HWY 129 between Tennessee and North Carolina)--it's a road made up of many tight hairpin turns and is on all motorcyclists 'must ride' list. Sometimes it feels like the road is bending back and UP behind you as you ride ("dizzying").

I also liked the Foothills Parkway which is on the west side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (and just north of Deal's Gap). It's made up of long sweeping curves that, on a big bike, are gonna be a blast.

Weather--days 'should' be warm, if not hot. Nights could be a little cool--but I think September is the best month for weather (especially in Indiana).

Good luck and have fun. I think the MotoGP is going to be a pretty big deal--I'm not sure Indianapolis is prepared for what is probably going to be a well-attended event.:thumb:

(**Please note: those directions were done from memory--'bout 10 years ago--I apologize if they're incorrect.:wave:

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I think the difficulty will be finding a bike to rent - especially around DC. Dont expect to land in DC and go to a dealer and rent one.

Other than that I could suggest routes from DC to Indy, 3 days will be a lesurely pace. Its strait thru 14 hours if you wanted to drone it.

Let us know how you are doing on the Goldwing rental end.

MD

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  5. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

Have already checked out some bike hire places, will check above. Laguna Seca was the other choice but busy time at work then, plus every one else wants leave because the kids are off school.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

6. bridgemanusa

bridgemanusa New Member

MotoGP package

Hi All:

A good buddy of mine at Viva Ducati (John Rossi) put together a package at Indy for the MotoGP in '08 including hotel, access to the infield (including seats for all three days on turn #9), VIP tent etc..

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal. Here is the link:

http://www.vivaducati.com/

See you there!

Eric B