New Port Richey, Florida

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by Wabbit1961, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Met up with a gentleman this afternoon on the ride home from working in Palm Harbor, heading north on US 19 in New Port Richey. Same black '06 as mine, but no bags. We rode a couple miles north and chatted at the lights. I was telling him I was being chastized by a State Trooper for weaving in and out of the idiots on US 19, but he didn't pull me over! After being finger wagged at by the Trooper is when the other VFR rider caught up to me so I kinda rode next to and behind the Trooper to taunt him a bit. Now there were TWO black Interceptors! Make him see double! *lol* Like I said in here and I told the other rider, I usually go up to the Hess in Brooksville on Sundays and watch the bikes come and go for an hour or so before heading back. If the man I rode with today sees this post, he should contact me via private message. Oh yeah, I just had to irritate the Trooper once again, this time I kept it in 1st and made the carbs open up right next to him, while only doing about 35-40mph...lmao! God as my witness, I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Stan

2. azpnshr

azpnshr New Member

Sorry, can't let this one slide.....A lot of threads on the forum refer to 1)safe riding vs squid actions and 2)being upset with the cops for impeding on your right to ride.
    You stated that "I was being chastized by a State Trooper for weaving in and out of the idiots on US 19, but he didn't pull me over! After being finger wagged at by the Trooper is when the other VFR rider caught up to me so I kinda rode next to and behind the Trooper to taunt him a bit......Oh yeah, I just had to irritate the Trooper once again, this time I kept it in 1st and made the carbs open up right next to him, while only doing about 35-40mph"
    So, you got the trooper's attention by weaving in/out of traffic (possible violation) and when he gives you a 'friendly' reminder to tone it down a little, you feel you need to taunt and irritate him?!!! I know from experience, from working the road in Ga, that sometimes 'a little finger wag' reminds drivers (cages/mc) to be aware of how they're driving. Sometimes you gotta step it up with either a written or verbal warning/citation, but hopefully the driver will pick up on your 'clue' and tones it down.
    I know there's two perceptions with traffic enforcement....the driver's perception on how they're driving and the officer's perception on the situation as a whole. You may not have perceived to be wrong with going in/out of lanes but depending on how you zip in/out (proper spacing, speed, etc) he could possibly be seeing a safety issue.
    I wasn't there and am not trying to 'monday morning quarterback' just basing my opionion from your statements .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  3. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    First off, I was not speeding. Secondly, I was 'weaving' in and out of a three lane road and had plenty of room to do so. No one I passed flashed their lights at me, honked the horn, or even had to tap on their brake lights. Lastly, this cop was doing the same damn thing as I was! THAT'S why he didn't pull me over! I've been riding over 30 years on the streets, only two accidents (caused by the other motorist, not me). I know my limits, and the limits of any bike I ride. I was in no way pushing any limits doing what I was doing.

I was not pushing the envelope, I was going the speed limit in what is always a clusterfuck of people getting off work and always being in the wrong lane. I don't jockey for pole position at lights like these drivers do. You can look 100 feet ahead of you and watch that dance. THOSE are the people that should be pulled over! Everytime they do that they cause 2-3 lanes behind them to hit the brakes. Pick a lane and stay there, Fucktards! If you ain't going the speed limit, wtf are you doing in the fast lane? You aren't turning. You're the one has to jump over three lanes to turn right and stop everyone else.

So, excuse me for knowing the roads I travel and the people that travel them enough to know how to handle the idiots out there.And if I am going the speed limit and doing 7krpm, that's perfectly legal. The emissions on the bike are nationally approved. I can't help it if it growls a bit more when it's hungry. If I ride your way the carbs would never open up at all. Then I would probably have issues with them when I need them in a tight spot due to non-usage. You have to blow them open now and then. Try doing that just shifting normally in everyday traffic. It DOESN'T happen!

4. viffer_monkey

viffer_monkey New Member

Map
  5. joebiker996

joebiker996 New Member

Seems I share your pain..(don't we all ?)
    unfortunately almost every time I go for a ride...
    Americans tend to feel they own the road & have no qualms about impeding the flow of traffic, when ever they're in the mood ..
    I do agree with the earlier post in that it's not too wise
    to "bait" LEO's... joebiker996

6. Moochy

Moochy New Member

Map
    +1 as a pet peeve

I realize I'm not a 'real' member here, being VFR-less, but after reading the R'n'T article and the replies here I just had to add my 2c worth . . . .

After visiting Italy numerous times and riding both bicycles and a friend's Husky on the Italian Riviera I am amazed how crazy, it seems, that the natives drive, but how cautious/courtious they are when near a bike, motorized or not. I have never felt more safe while being on 2-wheels. The explanation was a phrase repeated in German loosely translated as "Drive Right" (German maybe because of the autoban). It's a no-brainer, universally accepted mantra to stay out of others' way when you're slower and to be mindful of the right-of-way of those that need some extra 'clearance' for safety's sake.

Our Italian visitors talked of the 'Nascar' mentality they saw on American soil where it seemed everyone on our public roads is out to win Pole Position even from red light to red light.

Over the years it just seems the increase in the "sense of entitlement" includes 'owning' the road and having the birthright as an American citizen to hog the fast lane "if I damn-well please".

Sorry for the rant, but this seemingly USA-bound philosophy really grinds at me when trying to enjoy my biking activities and especially when visitors from outside the US are given even more reasons to think of us as pompous asses.

Moochy out . . . .