VFR Vibration

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Richard_H, May 8, 2003.

1. Richard_H

Richard_H New Member

hi, i was just wondering if anyone else has noticed any vibrations in the 99 VFR 800. It seems to happen most if i am going over 70Mph and seems to be coming from the engine or transmission.I was wondering if it was only my bike or if its a general thing with that model. I would be grateful for any views on this. Richard :)

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hey richard,
    I've also got a '99 and I can't say I've experienced the vibrations you're talking about...and I've had the speedo @145mph...well, yeah you will get some "vibes" up there.

Is this something you're just now noticing or have you felt it from the get go?

How many miles on the bike? Is it 'dealer' serviced?

I would say that any 'unusual' vibrations should be checked by an authorized mechanic.

RF ;)

3. Richard_H

Richard_H New Member

Its done 10,000 miles, bought it in October and it hasn't got any service history.

Might have to take it to main dealer, i think it might need tuning

Thanks for reply

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I've been getting a vibration around 7000 rpm. I'm getting ready to take it in. It's a 2002 with only 2000 miles on it so I'm a little upset with it.

5. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Several things may cause "excessive" vibration.

First, make sure the chain is properly adjusted. Too tight or too loose will both cause vibrations. Also, keep the chain clean and rust free. If the links don't rotate freely around the pins, they will stick and kink, this causes vibrations.

Second, on FI bikes, the starter valves need to be kept synchronized. This is a relatively simple procedure if you have the tools. It makes a big difference!

The 98-01 VFR's are known for being slightly buzzy around 7K rpm anyway. This is normal. If you look at the 00-01 VFR 800's you'll see a weight bolted to the underside of the left footpeg. This was an attempt to dampen out peg vibration to prevent numbing of the left foot.

Go ride a few twins and then get back on the VFR. You'll be amazed at how smooth the VFR is ;D

Adios,

6. Jake

Jake New Member

I've got a '98 and it's got the "around 7k" vibration. It's noticeable, but nothing I'd classify as "bad" unless you're cruising at 7000 RPM all day long--which translates to a pretty high speed (100 mph+?) if you're using all the gears...

I don't get the "numb left foot vibe at 5K" though (despite my bike not having the little weight on the footpeg).

Overall, I'd say it's smooth as glass prepared to my buzzy-as-hell old 600F3 that usually left my hands numb. (I had the same results with pretty much every other I-4 bike I've ridden as well).

I'd suggest some heavier bar-end weights and/or some gel or foam padded grips.

HTH,
    Jake Harsha

7. erliban

erliban New Member

Hi, everyone, newbie here. :)

I just bought a used 99 VFR800 with only 4700 miles. I noticed the 7k RPM LEFT foot peg vibration right away. No vibration on the right peg though. So this is suppose to be normal? The vibration is pretty bad I'd say.

Is there a fix (maybe order a 00~01 damped peg)? Have anyone tried to improve this? Thanks.

BTW, I love the bike!