Spark plug fouling

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by 00vfr, Dec 26, 2007.

1. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

Hey guys,
    I went to replace my plugs today since I have been having a miss at about 1500 to 1800 rpm.I am not sure how old the plugs are,but they had oil around the base of the plug and were seriously fouled and reeked of gas.What has me bothered is the tip of the electrode is rust colored. Has anybody seen this? One shop told me I should run a hotter plug (CR8EH) but another said not to run anyhting other than the factory recommended. I came from southern California and now I live up here in Pennsylvania. Is it worth spending 40 bucks for plugs for a couple of months riding just to change 'em out in the spring?

By the way I only have 6k on her right now.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    the miniature plugs (10mm) need replacement more frequently than the older, larger ones.
    use factory recommended type only!
    if your bike does not come up to proper running temp ( thermostat?) you'll be running rich with FI.

3. 00vfr

00vfr New Member

Thanks for the info squirrelman. After replacing the t-stat and plugs this weekend along with a new exhaust,she runs just like the day I got her. I bought some extra plugs just to keep around now too,hopefully from having to hear the cost of them a peice next year.