Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Guest, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm suprised no one has talked about the new vrf 1200 with 190 horses and max speed of 200mph. I've got a BMW but am already thinking about switching. I've riden a friends 750 vrf and thought it was a teriffic bike.
    Mark

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Where have you heard of a VFR 1200?
    I own a 2002 VFR 800 and would be interested in hearing more about the 1200.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    Sounds like there are mixed thoughts about this new VFR. Seems to me its more a CBR 1100XX than a VFR. Sounds like a marketing scheme to me. And personally I'm a believer in less is more. Thats why I love my 02 VFR as it is. It's easy and fun to ride around in a " touring " mode and when you want that exciting rush of acceleration it's happy to give that as well. For casual riding it makes you feel as though you are riding a 600. Hit 7000rpm and you know you've got something substantial between your legs...relatively speaking that is ;)

5. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
  6. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    Anyone else hear anything new on the VFR1200?
    I talked with a Honda sales guy in Pittsburgh April 3rd and he didn't know anything about the VFR 1200.

7. BKTOBK3233

BKTOBK3233 New Member

Map
    Interesting for sure. How would a V-5 work anyway? Seems like you would need 6 for balance. Would that be called a "W5" if you put the 5th piston in the middle? How do you get "V" with 5? And how many pounds would that and traction control put on the bike? It doesn't add up. If this tech heavy, largest hp motor gets released in '06, why not advertise now. Sounds more like a one off concept bike to be seen at shows to collect the feedback from the public. Or the surprise chance for Honda to introduce the motor for racing. They are getting spanked by the GSXR1000. There's my cheesy 2 cents.

8. BKTOBK3233

BKTOBK3233 New Member

Map
    Found this tidbit on a Moto GP site. Answered a lot of my own questions:

V5. Honda power. 2005 will see the bike in its 4th year. Customer bikes all over the place (7 bikes?), a successful design, and for a time even emulated by Kenny Roberts, this has been a successful engine. The engine makes something around 240bhp with the power band coming in fairly low in the rev range. It drives off corners well, and Honda has continued to refine its torque characteristics with RAM air ducts, shortie exhausts, and electronic and computer changes. The pace of development of this bike seems to be rapid though quietly done. The engine clearly has most of the rest of the field by the scruff of the neck.

Of interest is just how tall these engines are, Honda engineers have stacked the gearbox vertically behind the crank, leading to a stunningly short but tall motor. As Honda uses a 72° crank, they have clearance in front of the motor, but the exhaust pipes still end up going a long way south, and seem even to run round the sides of the sump. One other point worth making, though not apparent in these images, is that the RCV211 carries its engine very high in the chassis. The crank shaft is a significant height above the line of the front axle, which should make the bike a bit top heavy. Note the large white plastic protector over the crank end.

Three pistons on one side and 2 on the other. Nice picture of one at:http://www.maclean-nj.com/2002motogpengines.htm

9. ryders626

ryders626 New Member

Nope.. I just purchased the 2005 Interceptor (VFR800). Unless other countries have better VFR, cuz USA only have the VFR800.

Does anyone know or heard of how the VTech works? I keep hearing a weird sound coming from the engine every time my rpm reaches 6K and higer. Do you think that's the sound of VTech kicking in, should I go get my engine checked? The speek picks up really fast at that point, but not sure if that's normal?

10. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

Nothing wrong with your bike that's how the vtec works it kicks in after 6000 and opens up more valves. If you want all the specifics on how it works do a web search and you can get all the technical information.

11. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    I read with interest that some of you are seeing activation of the second set of valves ( VTEC ) at 6000 rpm. My 2002 VFR activates at 7000 rpm. From what I have read the source of what you hear at that point comes from the intake ( under the tank ). Personally I find the sound at that point and beyond music to my ears ;D

12. shaster

shaster New Member

Map
    Back to the V5

Will the name change to VFV?
    Cause the VFR is a VFouR...
    The VFV1200 sounds like a fitting name !!