Goes dead

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by rodney.norris, Jan 19, 2008.

1. rodney.norris

rodney.norris New Member

My bike goes dead from first to second gear at high RPM's a lot of the time. I also noticed that it does it on steep inclines. It always cranks back up with no problem. Is there anyone with the same problem or knows how to solve the problem? I have a 2002 model.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    What bike do you have?

3. rodney.norris

rodney.norris New Member

It' a 2002 model

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    What do you consider high RPM's? Are you hitting the rev limiter? Does it matter how full the tank is? I'm thinking you may have a problem in the fuel tank. Do you get an FI light at any time? Have you looked to see if you have any trouble codes?

Action

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  5. rodney.norris

rodney.norris New Member

I consider high RPM'S to be 5000 or higher or the safest RPM going from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't matter if it's full or amost empty. I've already checked the fuel filter and changed out the packing. I don't get an FI light, and I don't know anything about any trouble codes. Explanation about trouble codes would be thankful.

6. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Rodney,
    I would recommend you get a copy of the service manual, it will tell you in detail how to see if your bike’s ECU has stored any trouble codes. The short version is, you jumper the test plug and the FI light will blink if it has any codes stored. The service manual has a chart that tells you what the number of blinks correspond to. It sounds like you have a fuel delivery or air flow problem. When you engine needs more of both at higher RPM’s its not getting the extra fuel or air and the engine is dying. The fuel filter was a good place to start, take a look and see if you have any trouble codes. They could point you toward something like the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I would also make sure there is nothing obstructing your airflow. Pull your air filter out and make sure nothing is in the air box. Mice have been known to store things there. Also check all your vacuum hoses and make sure you don’t have one unplugged.

Action