Battery Tender Install

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by nozzle, Feb 1, 2008.

1. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    This is about as simple as it gets for installing something on your VFR. A battery looses charge and a tender keeps it charged up just like you rode your bike every day. The tender (Junior is what I have) comes with a set of two pig-tails to connect the brain to the battery. (note I should have taken a picture of the these prior to installing one... but...) One has Alligator clips (like jumper cables), the other has lugs to install on your bike so that you can hook it up by just removing your seat. The connector between the brain (part the plugs into the wall) and the bike is keyed (further idiot proofing)

First take off your seat.

Next, Take off any covers so that you can get to your battery.

Loosen and remove one of the battery terminal bolts that holds the bike's wiring to the battery. Be careful as some batteries have a loose nut that could fall out.
    Battery Terminal.jpg
    insert the bolt back through the lug and hand thread it back into the nut that you carefully did not loose. Ensure the lug lies flat on the terminal so that it makes good contact. Route the lug pigtail wires so they allow the cover to go back in place.
    battery wires.jpg
    The fuse on the positive (red +) side of the pigtail fits up behind the battery. The negative (black -) side of the pigtail runs across the top on my 6th gen. I tried to make it neat by cutting a slit in the side of the positive cover.
    positive cover slit.jpg
    The cover keeps stuff from shorting the positive terminal to the frame. (The frame is tied directly to the negative side -). Tighten up the battery terminal bolts and then neaten things up.
    positive cover.jpg
    Then route the pigtail so you can easily get to it with the seat off, but it won't drag. I tucked it up like this.
    pigtail wire.jpg
    (I'm whining now, the install how-to is over)
    The cover on my 6th gen has two buttons that hold it to the bike. This is the worst designed item I've found on the bike so far. One of the buttons broke the first time I took the cover off (note it's not there). I'd prefer if these buttons were just solid and molded into the cover. Then the holes these go into could have a rubber donut that the button would fit into.
    Cover button.jpg

2. KENJI

KENJI New Member

Hey nozzle, I installed a battery tender on my '05 and I noticed that the clock wasn't in sync after starting the bike, I had to reset the clock for the correct time. Did yours do the same? Kenji

3. blackjack_mike

blackjack_mike New Member

Map
    Battery tender installed on my 98 and no issues with the clock. I routed the pigtail out the right side and attached to the frame with an electrical tie. The pigtail has a protective cover on it so it is okay in the weather. This way, I don't have to remove anything to plug in.

4. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I've had that problem before I installed the tender, but only when the battery was a little low.

I haven't had a chance to ride since I put this on.

Mike: I considered mounting the pigtail to the frame so I could plug without removing the seat, but then I ran out of beer and just came down to post the pics. If you've got a pic of how you did it, throw it up so I get an idea. If you have trouble uploading, pm me and I'll hook you up.

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I realize this is on the battery tender topic but I have to suggest getting the Deka brand battery because they have a glass seal design that does not require constant charging.

It may cost a little more but it's well worth it not having to monkey around with battery tenders.

6. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Nice write-up Nozzle.

I've been using a Battery Tender for the past two winters and they are great. I have a pigtail on both bikes. When I'm riding a lot I just coil them up under the seat but in the winter I leave them hanging out so I can just plug it in every few days.

As to the clock issue I haven't noticed that on either bike when using a Battery Tender. I've charged both bikes numerous times using mine and have not had any problems at all.

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

8. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I installed a harness for my Widder vest, which installs just about the same way. I did add some additional wire protection on the positive lead (can't help myself).

Anyway, I made up some small adapter wires using crimp-on "bullet" connectors to attach the Battery Tender. The only downside(?) to it is you have to use a voltmeter on the Widder plug to determine polarity, as the vest plugs in either way.

I considered marking the Widder plug, but I know myself better than that. I would forget which one I marked. Besides, this way I get to check voltage before and after the charge, which gives me some sort of anal-retentive satisfaction.

I've gotta start using my camera...

BTW, Kenji, the clock and both tripmeters reset themselves when either battery lead is disconnected (or if the voltage gets too low). I don't know if anything in the engine management memory is affected in the same fashion as newer automobiles. Good excuse for me to look at the shop manual.

Oh, yeah, for anyone that is using a Tender on an unsealed battery, they DO boil off the water, even though they say that they don't. It does not happen quickly, but it does happen.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Nozzle:

Nice right up!

I picked up a tender jr. too and have been happy so far!

BZ

10. bear

bear New Member

Map
    it is also easier to get the battery terminal bolt in if you put a small piece of vacuum line under the nut to hold it up on the battery terminal. It also keeps the nut flat.

11. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Noz pu one up at the bike show last week your "how to install" was perfect timing! just been to lazy. ah its super bowl sun have to wait till next week LOL

12. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    this is what i should have had about two weeks ago and i would not be buying a stator and RR ?

13. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    No problemo. finding out a bunch of stuff just because I put up a how too. Next time you'll have to post up your install/review before I need it :redface: .

So I follow the link to the ctek site and find that it is highly rated in Sweden, England and Finland. Problem is I live in the US.

At first I posted this more as a ha-ha since it is really just undoing two screws and then screwing them back in.... but one of my buddies was going to bring his bike to a shop to have one installed :eek: so I figured this might help folks realize they can do it.

Heck just hearing someone else whine about the battery cover would have been great, but this worked out. Hopefully folks will see this is helpful and post their reviews / How-to's / Mods so that we can all benefit.

(lecture's over... please disperse to other forum threads again :biggrin: )

14. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, yes Chomper, I am that good. Enjoy. :party:

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I bought the charger from a company in Arizona - I had no idea that you went all the way to the Hamamatsu Factory to get your bike.................:tongue:

16. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    No, just read that the bike was highly rated here in the US :tongue: :yield:

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You're a great guy Noz!

Nice thread by the way, I didn't know what to think when I first read the thread title, but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. I will try to be more punctual with my posts for new products that I see or buy - it was a little ex post facto! :redface:

18. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Battery tender works great.
    I gave one to my dad for father's day last year.

Mmm... Almost father's day again.
    what to give to the old man?

19. mikesbike

mikesbike New Member

What happened?