Lucas Oil additive???????????????

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by hurst96vfr, Feb 5, 2008.

1. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

I am a huge fan of lucas in autos but would it work well on a bike??any good opinions??

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    IMO....I would just use a quality motorcycle specific (read wet-clutch safe) synthetic oil, change it every 3-5K, or once a season at least, and forget about it!

3. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

I am not sure if Lucas formulates their products,or just buys something and relables it. Also known in the distributution business as a private labler.When
    I read the advertising,they are not really specific about their chemistry. They usually say something like ,IMPROVES FUEL MILEAGE,STOPS SMOKING,IMPROVES OIL QUALITY but nothing specific, I agree with the Der
    man,I use Red Line synthetic motorcycle oil, its formulated with extra phosphorous and zinc and is specifically made for sportbikes, eddie

4. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Having gone through the drama of replacing a burned up clutch as a result of using low-quality automotive grade oil in an older Yamaha, I wouldn't suggest it.

I have recently been schooled on motorcycle oil grades, and it makes a huge difference with the wet clutch. Motorcycle oils ares specifically formulated for this reason.

Hence, I'd avoid adding the Lucas stuff to your VFR.

Any reason (other than being a Lucas fan) for adding it to your bike's crankcase?

5. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

No reason in particular i was just wondering i figured be worth asking about cause it works so great on cars its so sticky and thick it sticks so well to the internals , but you guys are right probaably safe to stick with the stuff we know , i might have to try using this redline your talking about i dont remember seeing it at the local shop so maybe i need to look harder i used the honda brand they had when i changed my oil last week

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Redline oil is great stuff, however it is expensive. Usually around 12-13 bucks a quart. Not sure if you have "cycle gear" shops in Fl, but they have it. Find out more about it and where you can buy it here:

www..redlineoil.com

IMO, I think that Redline oil is a step above the others, but opinions are like *ssholes...everybody has one. You will be fine with a good brand name motorcycle specific synthetic...most important is consistent oil changes really, regardless if you use dino or synthetic. Forget the additives...they are like a "hooker", they take your money, tell ya they love ya, and then they never call...full of empty promises.... :frown:

7. fabinator

fabinator New Member

It says "for motorcycles with wet clutch, use 10%". Since the original formula doesn't really seem that thick, I would assume it's more of a surface tension modifier. It does a great job sticking to valvetrain components. May be good for the cam eaters like my '83, but may be trouble on models that work properly.

8. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I've used lucas in my bike only because I've seen first hand how clean how minimal the wear is on heavy duty diesel engines. When an additive alone can make that significant of a difference in a 600 horse engine w/1850 ft lbs of torque I'm all over it. If it minimalizes wear in something w/ that kind of shear it can't hurt the bike in my eyes. Lucas also carries there own cycle specific oil, along w/ all there other products. I have personally pulled apart engines w/ nearly 1,000,000 miles that have religiously used Lucas additive that show similar wear to engines I've had apart w/ 50,000 miles. To each there own though I'm sure you know what they say about opinions.