after clutch replacement bike wont start

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by love4vfr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

after final oil fill up i tried to start it , and it will click but not turn over....
    any takers

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    check your battery voltage first........how long has it been sitting??

4. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

ok i fixed the no start problem it was the washer not on right , but now its like the clutch is dragging it starts in neutral but when i try to start in 1st with the clutch in it lunges

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Did you install the new plates in the exact order that you removed them in? Did you torque the spring retainer bolts correctly? Just thinkin' out loud......

6. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

yes plates , springs , bolts are good ,the smallest sprocket thingy that spins to rotate the starter did fall off while trying to line up sprocket/washer/dowell so i stuck it back on maybe i put it on wrong

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It sound like the clutch isn't engaging correctly, it isn't slipping, the clutch pack doesn't seem to be expanding correctly.......It wouldn't lunge when started in gear if it was slipping.

8. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Did you soak the new discs in oil?

9. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

yes i did soak them in oil , is it possible i turned some kind of like drive gear or something because the gears dont seem right i cant go all the way down and half up for neutral , right now it will only go into neutral it seems from a higher gear down to neutral , thats why i;m wondering if i turned a sprocket i shouldn't have??maybe how i could go about to check it i cant find anything in he manual that seems to fit my problem except something about sticking a penny beetween sprockets to keep them from moving well what if they moved maybe??my only transportation and my baby i gotta get this figured out quick i have to be a work early tomorrow so i have to bum a ride

10. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

isit also possible the springs could be tightened down to tight??i doubt it because when i tightened them down , i tightened them down all the way i coudnt find a torque specification , plus i dont have a torque wrench i didnt want to leave them too loose,

i guess i am going to pull a all nighter i really need this fixed so if anyone want to give me any ideas or anything to check i am about to pull the clutch cover off again and check it out

11. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

well i ithink i finally it , it seems to be getting better the more its shifted but the clutch lever doesnt give me much to work with right as soon as it is let out a little it starts to go and i have already turned the adjusting screw on the clutch lever and it only gets worse

12. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

So now i'm having a hard time getting it in to neutral and the clutch lets it start moving if realeased the tiniest bit

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You apparently have the clutch installed incorrectly or you re-assembled the supporting cast of parts incorrectly. Take the whole thing apart, get yourself a manual and follow the instuctions for putting it back together. Follow the instructions in the manual EXACTLY and it should work fine. Do this before you end up causing yourself more problems........

14. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

I have a manual and it seemed everything was ok i dont understand the judder spring/seat i think when i took the plates and disks off , the first one maybe the judder spring came out with the plates i looked at it and checked it out and put it back on , is it maybe specifically suppose to go on a certaing way it looked like it just went right on simply , how would it act if the starter clutch sprocket was turned??or the primary gear sprocket??
    now it finds neutral ok without pulling in the clutch lever but not when the clutch lever is pulled in , also when its running in neutral and i go down to first it lurches and dies please help somebody :(

15. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

also whats the difference in the (narrow)friction disk from the friction disks i didnt notice ant differences in taking them off

16. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

thenarrow one goes on first right???and which way is the judderspring suppose to face it says dish side in but i still cant tell please an idiot

17. dale-j

dale-j New Member

The narrow plate is installed first, immediately after the judder spring which incidentally has to be installed with the cupping facing the correct direction. I can never remember which way that's why I take pictures with a digicam as I pull it apart. You *have* to use a torque wrench, doing it by feel you will almost always either have drag or have something come apart later - ask me how I know..... torque wrench is cheap, and a lot cheaper than chewing up a pressure plate bolt and the inside of your clutch cover.:eek:

18. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

i never planned on taking the judder spring out it came out with the bands so i didnt see which way it was facing :(

19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    there's a small ball at the end of the long operating rod, and you may have lost it........

20. love4vfr

love4vfr New Member

a small ball?? i dont remember one it seems like there uis a guide or something and then the bearings on the end of the rod, but what i need to figure out now is the judder spring direction