Washington State to Prince Rupert this spring?

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by Alaskan, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I am planning a ride from Washington (No. Cal, really) to Prince Rupert this spring. I did this once about 25 years ago, so my memories are a bit hazy. I have some questions for our BC members. First, what is the earliest time of the year to make this trip without risking snow and torrential rain? I'm thinking of riding up 97 through the Okanagan. Second, what's the road surface like nowadays? I recall that it was really good 25 years ago. Third, anyone interested in a get-together along the way?

One option - keep riding north at Prince George! Anyone done the entire Alaska Highway to Skagway recently? That adds about 800 miles to the trip . . . .

2. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    id think June would be a good time of yr for that ride. but past prince George you may want to do that in July southern half of BC is fine from may on. okanagon can get very hot in july aug. sounds like a great ride! it might be worth it to order a mc guide for great bc & Washington rds @ www.destinationhighways.com rates roads specifically for mc

3. blais

blais New Member

i just got back from a 6000km trip leaving from yellowknife, N.W.T, riding down into alberta than across to prince george, and all the way to prince rupert, the roads were amazing, i have never been on such nice pavement! i ride on chipseal up here and it's rotten! the weather was awesome my whole trip!