Snorkel removal on airbox

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Grisoni, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Grisoni

Grisoni New Member

Have you guys removed the snorkel and / or drilled holes in airbox cover, does it sound even sweeter or just more noise?

2. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I removed the snorkel from my airbox and it does sound louder, not alot, but enough to where I keep the snorkel out just for the sound. I can't really tell you about any performance gains however, as I did not do a dyno run before or after.

3. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
  4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I removed the snorkel and disabled the flapper. This was done in conjunction with PAIR block, Motad, LV cans, BMC, PCIII, custom map - the before and after was a 15% HP increase. As for just the snorkel on a stock bike, I don't think it would be noticeable, except for a change in sound. I have some pictures of the modded airbox lid............

5. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

The post link is to a first gen setup and Norcal boy is talking about the 6th gen.

So, from my experience with the 4th gen. What you get is a slight decrease in torque down low but nothing noticable and a little more top end. Once again, nothing too noticable. What you do get is a noticable increase in engine noise. Actually sounds pretty cool so I haven't patched up the holes I cut in mine.