K&N air filters

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cjk, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cjk

cjk New Member

2. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I guess that's the tradoff you make to increased throttle response and higher CFM capability.

I know that K&N's have been beneficial on several of my vehicles, despite the fact that they allow more "dirt" into the engine. If I lived in a dusty area, I would be more concerned, but I don't.

My 1st K&N filter was a conical type on a small 1.6L Honda Civic. I immediately noticed that the revs rose much faster, and that the engine "pulled" harder. Was this a "highly modded" motor? Certainly not (only headers and a 2 1/4" catback). But it was one of the best mods I did to that car, bar none. After 45k with that filter, the car needed a head gasket. Any additional wear that could be attributed to the K&N letting dirt through was not apparent. The engine was as clean on the outside as it was on the inside. Maybe 3k Mobil 1 OCI's combined with a K&N filter cleaned and re-oiled every 7.5k did the trick.

I have also had a K&N panel filter in two other cars, a 2003 Jeep Wrangler and a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Did I notice a difference? Not really, but neither car was "modded" any further. Fuel economy gains? 2 mpg in the Jeep and 4 in the Hyundai. I can't argue with that.

Think about where that dirt being let into your engine is actually going. in the case of a VFR (carbureted in my example) it's going straight through the carbs and into the combustion chamber. All of the small particles of dirt will be vaporized, larger particles (80 microns, or 0.08 mm, from the test) would be super heated and expelled out with the exhaust gases. I have a pretty hard time believing that unless you were dumping dirt into your airbox (as in the test) that the occasional stray 80 micro dirt particle that is sucked up would do all that much damage (especially to a bulletproof Honda motor).

You have to re-examine the test and realize that they were putting 50k worth of dirt through the filters in less than 1/2 an hour. I think that pretty much anyone on this site would have the foresight to check and clean a dirty air filter every 15k or so, so the likely hood of this actually being detrimental is pretty minute.

I still plan on getting a K&N (or similar) air filter for my VFR because I'm still working with the OEM circa 1996 filter. It's not particularly dirty, either. So I am not really worried about what the K&N might do.

3. elf800

elf800 Banned

really i have k@n in everything ive owned never had anyproblems with them i check the filter everyoil change if it is dirty i clean it and reoil with their products, you would think that the filter would allow less dirt considering its covered in a lite oil mist and not a dry paper element.. but what do i know i just learned yesterday from other members that your but is not an exit only design.

4. rabbipal

rabbipal New Member

K&N filers

I also have run K&N air filters in every vehicle I own - both 2 wheel and 4 wheel variety. I do it purely from a financial standpoint - it pays for itself the first 2 or 3 filter replacements and have never noticed anything adverse to my engines. This is what I have noticed ... they claim more power and better fuel economy. They never say you get them both at the same time though. LOL. When they are brand new, you get more air (and dirt) come through which results in much more power (overly simplifying but more oxygen means more power in combustion engines). As time passes, they get more clogged with dirt and therefore filter the air better. The result is less air getting through - resulting in better fuel economy. My existing 3 vehicles (a Volvo S80, BMW 325i and Merc ML430) all bare testament to this, as well as my VFR800 and Yamaha FZR1000. I have never noticed any of my vehicles EVER perform worse than stock even at the K&Ns worst (dirtiest) moments. I clean them every 20K-30K miles and not, for one second, do I regret using K&N. I dont care how many reports come out to the contrary, in my situation, its a sound investment. I'll leave the speculation and negativity to those folks that have the time and inclination to investigate it. When they start paying for my air filters, I'll follow their advice. As long as I pay for it, I'll go with K&N. If its good enough for the US military to use in their million dollar aircraft, its good enough for me to use in my drastically cheaper vehicles :).