Countersteering explained with video?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by gsdfriendly, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gsdfriendly

gsdfriendly New Member

Hi all,

Just purchased new bike and I am trying to sharpen my skills with limited risk of a crash or damage to the bike. I'm a relatively new rider and I am studying how to become a better rider. I'm looking for a video other than youtube (company blocks it) that can clearly explain and show in detail the real world physics of this action... I'm a bit confused.. I must be doing this in real world application but i want to fully understand the correct application of countersteering... I have a question.. when you countersteer you only apply the force momentarily untill the bike starts to lean over then you lean into the turn? what is the action applied to the handlebars just after the countersteer? do you steer the other way? Rest assured I will be doing limited road riding until I complete the msf course scheduled for april 13th.. I found this video but he doesnt exlain what you do after the slight turn of the handlebars..

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    CS is the greatest thing. More experienced guys can give you the details but the basics are push right go right, push left go left. You only need to push until the desired lean angle is achieved... pending your speed and corner.

A bikes wheels are like gyros, they want to stay up when spinning. CS brakes that stability. A quick shot of counter steer is what will get you out of the way of that huge pothole right in front of you. I have found with the Gen 6 that I use CS when I am above 10mph - 14kmh.

3. Taz

Taz New Member

Best way to learn is ride a dirt bike off road, barrow a friends.
    Because of the less contact/friction of the dirt it's a must to counter steer to stay up & riding.

Freddie Spencers school pushes learning of CS a lot, & even has one of his class's where you ride little CRF100's dirt bikes with street tyres (like sportsman class SuperMoto's) to teach CS & backing it in (which is even more aggressive CS).

Take a MSF school & they also talk about CS (& I recomend MSF to anyone new to 2 wheels on the road :first: ).

If you want to watch an aggressive look @ CS, rent or buy a SuperMoto video, & can give you an Idea what CS can do ( there's speedway, TT, Flat track & GP racing also).

I taught my Daughter (I don't recomend this to newbies) who grew up on quads & dirtbikes to be a better at CS by going to a big dry lake bed in Commiefornia (Cuddyback) where it's impossable to run into something & made her ride one handed right handed on the left handle bar/clip on after getting up to 60 mph (coasting do to no hand on the throttle) & weaving in in out of spaced out set up cones.
    Then had her do it left hand on throttle side accelerating & decelerating.

after only 10 minutes she had it wired & was pushing 100 mph in in out of the cones (helped she did have DB experiance) on the XR650R.
    After she had that wired on that bike, she did just as good & a little faster on the '04 VFR with no problems.

(She was also wearing full race leathers & gear doing this)

She said after learning that, her confidence went way up, unfortunantly I've created a monster, & wants to ride my RC51 & Triumph now (street & track).

Good luck & be safe, learnig & safety will be alway's your friend on 2 wheels:wink: