Passenger Comfort

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by flybub, Apr 13, 2008.

1. flybub

flybub New Member

Map
    Hey everyone. I'm new and very glad I found this forum. I sold my CBR F4 about a year and half ago and want to get back into riding. I was set on a Kawasaki Mean Streak but I can't picture myself on a cruiser. I am 28 with a wife and 2 kids and the wife has informed me she wants to ride with me when we get free of the little ones. That influences my decision on what to buy. I want something sporty but I don't want a track bike and I'm not interested in a cruiser (yet). My question is what is the riding position of the VFR compared to the F4. More forward lean on the VFR or F4? To me my F4 was actually pretty comfy and I loved the power it put out but financial problems caused me to sell and my wife wanted nothing to do with getting on the back of it. So, what is the passenger comfort like on the back of the VFR (wifey is 5'-8" 125lbs)? Is there strain on the back, legs? My mind is made up on a seat but if the boss in uncomfortable she will never saddle up again. Also just to fill you in, my father in law rides an 06 HD Ultra Glide, brother in law an 07 Yami Vstar 650, and Uncle a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. So I'm prepared to dust them when the time comes :) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW: I have until early December (get my Christmas bonus at work) before I can buy but there's nothing like having 8 months to shop and compare.

2. VFRShorty

VFRShorty New Member

I've ridden on the back of many bikes, and my 87 VFR is the most comfortable of all (5'2 / 130 lbs with lotsa gear). I can't imagine the newer ones being any worse.

Maybe you could take her to look at one, and have her sit on it? I've noticed that if the seat feels ok when you first sit on it, its just fine for riding around on.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  3. nyteshades

nyteshades New Member

2 weeks ago tomorrow, I traded in my 06 f4i for an 08 VFR. I found the midrange I was looking for and my wife found the comfort she was looking for. Crosstown rides were hell on her knees and she would complain about riding the bike. The couple of outtown trips we made she preferred to me at the start of the twisties vs ride on the highway.

Since getting the VFR she hasn't said a word. Her only complaint is her foot got a little warm from the exhaust pipe. I'm taking her "touring" this weekend, we'll see how she really likes it after that.

4. keeena

keeena New Member

I have an '02 VFR, corbin seat w/ back rest - my girl loves it compared to being on the back of a super sport. She says the backrest make a huge difference. She's 5'6".

5. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    I have taken only one passenger and they had no complaints...I have ridden an F-4 (Rode it home for a friend who bought it to getback into riding.) he VFR is a bit mor relaxed and many further realax itwith "Heli-Bars" Truthfully I'm thinking about removing the passenger pegs... If I knew I was going to be accompanied by a passenger I woul invest in thenew Kawi Concors....

But since my wife has "Zero" interest in riding I will stick with my VFR... LOL

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    My bike is a 5th gen (Red '99) for your information.

Last weekend was the first time I ever drove with a passenger. My buddy wanted to take his mom along for a ride but his wife still wanted to join along the fun.

So I took his wife along and she said she was pretty surprised at how comfortable it is for "crotch rocket". My buddy has a Suzuki SV1000S and she doesn't like riding in the back because the seat's hard and it's in an awkward up high position.

But with mine, the only minor complaint was that sometimes when I braked hard she kind of slid into my seat but all she had to do was push back a little and it was all good.

As for my driver perspective, I'm pretty surprised it wasn't that hard at all. I did a practice run first in a parking lot just making circles at 15 mph. The bike just was a little slower and braked a little slower as well. As for turning I didn't have to push as hard on the bar since the extra weight is adding momentum.

Once I got the hang of riding with a passenger for a while I showed her a good time by hauling ass onto a freeway ramp redlining it up to 80 mph!! he he!

One other tip, you can search this forum for passenger riding topics. This question I'm sure has been answered many times.

Good luck with your hunt!

7. agutierrez

agutierrez New Member

Map
    I have the same question. I currently ride a SV650s and the wife is not so comfortable (me neither). I would like to do some touring. I've been looking into the VFR and it sounds like the bike was made for me.... Sporty looking and comfortable with the right amount of power.

The other reason I plan on getting this bike is to ride up to Moto GP at Laguna Seca. Hopefully I will see some of you there.

So I went to my local honda dealer (Bert's in So Cal) to try on the VFR, and they did not have any in stock. Largest selection in So cal, but no VFRs. They had at least 100 CBRs, GSX-R's and R1s but no VFRs. Whats the deal? Anyone no where to try on a VFR?

Great site... super informative.

8. flybub

flybub New Member

Map
    You all have been a big help. Thank you for your input. I have considered a Kawi Concour but its too much motor for what I will use it for, plus bigger motor = higher insurance. I love the look of the VFR and the motor is the size I'm looking for without going back to a super sport. Thanks again for the help. Ride Safe

9. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map

Sometimes you have to call around.. As much as we try to deny it here the VFR is not the Honda runaway sales hit that we try and proclaim that it is... My Local Delership has 2 in crates they just sold the White 2006 they had on the showroom floor...

Call around to other dealerships and see what they have and/or check craigslist.org or see if maybe somebody on this board close to you would be willing for you to, at the very least, just sit on it... I let people sit on mine all the tim so tey can see why I love my bike so much... but alas you are in CAL... As much as I want to drive that far my wife would kill me... LOL

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    my wife is 5'8 and 118 and she says it's ok. she can go 200 miles give or take, but that's about it...

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Your father in law must be a good mechanic. Buy the VFR. Though my 06 is my first bike and I cannot compare it to anything, the reason I bought it in the first place was in a large part due to the comfort aspect. I have had three back surgeries and went through a brief period of temporary paralysis. I have permanent nerve damage in the back and down the legs and foot. The VFR is very comfortable for me to ride. And if you find that your wife gets a numb bum, look at changing the saddle.

There is a place in Seattle that actually measured you up and puts gel inserts in their custom seats. And they did not appear to be too expensive either. Mind you I didn't note where you were from. Seattle is a long way from New York. If you are interested, say so and I will find the place for ya.

Ride on Bro:peace:

12. flybub

flybub New Member

Map
    Thanks Randy, I've heard of that place in Seattle. Unfortunately I'm in Central Ohio, advantage me. Sounds like a sweet Road Trip :)

Reg, that's good to hear. Very unlikely I'll be making any trips longer than 200 miles.

Sounds like the VFR is the machine I'm looking for, now to decide which generation. Man I love shopping.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  13. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

my wife finds the 05 and 00 vfr seat quit comfy for a all dayer, almost as good as the st1100 i have, and that aint bad!

BUT!!! you just have to have a backrest on it, which is a snap to make, otherwise she wont go a mile. without it it sucks..with it she can lean back just like any tourer and be comfy. I carry the luggage in soft bags, and a sack behind the backrest, works very good!! I like it better than the st because smaller and nicer to maneuver when slow.

btw..the 05 she finds a bit better than the 00..think its bigger back there..

Its a better compromise for me as i dont care for the st, so

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  14. lencap

lencap New Member

Got to be honest here - as much as the VFR is a fine all around bike, I'd question how comfortable the better half will be as a passenger. The bike has a high seat height to start with, and the foot peg location makes it pretty tight for a passenger, and even a longer reach to the ground. At 5'8", I don't think she can touch the ground from the passenger seat. I'm almost the same height and I can barely touch the ground as the rider.

Couple that with the lack of a backrest and a forward leaning rider position and the wife hasn't got much to keep her stable and "locked in". If she's not comfortable, she will likely move around, especially if you ride it aggressively. That's not a great combination for staying in control. You may find otherwise, but for a ride of more than half an hour better try before you buy.

Not trying to be a doom sayer, but after 35 years of marriage and dozens of motorcycles I've learned the hard way that what puts a smile on my face rarely results in a comfortable ride for my wife. As much as it pains me to say it, there are far more comfortable rides for two up running, but few are as much fun solo.

15. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    If you wife is not going to ride much, if at all, until your kids are out of the house, take her out of the equation now. get the bike you want and when the kids are gone get another bike. Otherwise you may compromise what you'd enjoy for something she'll enjoy years from now and you'll be stuck with something suboptimal for you.

my two cents.

16. nyteshades

nyteshades New Member

Wife did 200 miles yesterday and was fine. Her only complaint is it needs a new seat......my evil plan is working...lol.

17. flybub

flybub New Member

Map
    Thanks again for the input. Besides the VFR I'm also looking at a Kawasaki Mean Streak, which the wife has ridden on before with a cousin and she was very comfy on it (had a Corbin Dual Saddle on it). My search is ongoing to say the least, but the VFR is still at the top of my list. Right now the only the Mean Streak has over the VFR are the hydraulic valve lifters which makes it nice since I have no inkling of mechanical skills what so ever to adjust them on the viffer. Thanks again for the input.

18. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Well if you search the VFR forum for valve adjustment, you'll see that this is of little to no concern based on history with the engine...

There are four VFR's listed in Craigs List for the DC area if you are looking for a used bike.

Good luck with your search...

19. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Well it's more cofortable the cbr was because it is taller and the position more upright.

that said my wife is not a fan for more than 1h, mind you all she has to compare it to is a goldwing...
    Do not let her try one! she will want you to get one!

also you can get a custome seat that actually has a backrest for the passanger.

20. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    That custom seatback is called a Top Case on my VFR. :wink: