Virgin VFR looking for upgrades

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by dking51, Apr 25, 2008.

1. dking51

dking51 New Member

I have a 97 VFR750 w/ only 4000miles on it. It is completely stock right now but am looking for some classy upgrades. I want a high mount exhaust to show off the single swing arm. And is there any way to clean up the tail section?? And other recommendation are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Dusty

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    many people have trimmed the tail by removing the lisence plate light and cutting the undertail to suit. very easy, I used a sharpie to mark it and a box cutter to trim it. lost about 3 inches.

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
  4. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

5. Rev

Rev New Member

There are sill quite a few mods that can be done to the mighty 4Gs:

1. Cut back the rear fender leaving an inch to mount the license plate to. This will get rid of the side reflectors and the light. You will get light shining through the opague panel under the taillight which will sorta light up the plate at night. Drill holes for the plate mount and put a plate frame on it and you're done.

2. Stainless steel brake lines. Everyone who does this raves about the improved feel of the brakes.

3. Staintunes high-mount exhaust. 'Nuff said there.

4. Factory Pro "Shift Kit" which makes for firmer, improved shifting without the false neutrals that can occur. http://www.factorypro.com/products/shift_kit,Factory_Pro.html

5. Pazzo levers (this one is on my to-do list). Improved feel and looks with more adjustability than the stock ones.

6. A double bubble windscreen which pushes the air higher, reducing wind noise and buffeting

7. Fork mods: anything from swapping out springs and oil, to using F3 internals in the stock stantions, to replacement of the entire front end with another bike's front end assembly. I'm using the F3 fork internals: a low-buck option that works well.

8. Rear shock: WP comes to mind here if you want an aftermarket one. Another solution is to use one from another bike that has a higher spring rate than the stock one. I used one from an Honda Erion 929 that I got on eBay for $10. I had to do a lot of custom work to get it in there but the weight savings and added adjustability made it worth it.

9. Lots of cosmetic items; just look on eBay. SS bolt kits, grips, bar ends, tank bras, etc.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Gee, I need not say anything, for once..

7. dking51

dking51 New Member

thanks a lot REV...those are some great ideas...ill check out e-bay for some stuff...ive been looking for a high-mount...but all the makers have discontinued them...so im not sure where to look...any suggestions?

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  9. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I would first recommend geting the wheel bearing and swingarm bearings and cushion done first and also get the brakes done with a fluid flush. Also have the coolant flushed and change the oil and filter. Get a BMC air filter and have the bike tuned and have them check the sprockets and chain. At this point I would get the suspension done/upgraded (Penske rear shock, GP fork kit), and steel braided brake lines (Galfer kit). You may want to consider tires if needed - I really like the new Dunlop RoadSmart and also liked the Avon Storm ST tires on my 5th Gen VFR. Also upgrade your headlights to some Phillips Orsam Silverstar H4 bulbs. After doing this I would have the valves checked and now you can worry about cosmetic stuff - a Windscreen from Zero Gravity (Sport Touring screen). Oh yeah, a tapered head bearing is something to loo into and Sanitune, Micron, Yoshi are good choices for a aftermarket can. Anyway just my two cents.

10. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

Even without seeing any pictures I think that the mods made by the previous owner are pure class.

11. Rev

Rev New Member

well if it were me, I'd buy a 'can' off ebay or from one of the manufacturers, attach it to the bike where i want it, mock up the pipe between and have an exhaust shop fab it for me out of stainless steel.

12. dking51

dking51 New Member

yeah i was thinking the same thing w/ just having it fabed up to a high mount...