Honda hardbags & passenger grab rails

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Zap, May 5, 2008.

1. Zap

Zap New Member

Do the Honda hardbags require that the passenger grab rails are installed? I know that the passenger footpeg assemblies are required, but I'm not sure about the grab rails. After riding the VFR for about a year "bag-less," I'm hoping to get some bags soon!

2. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    You can use the brackets without the grab bars, but it looks a little odd.

3. Privateer

Privateer New Member

Map
    Yup you don't have to use grab handles. I think you may need to use a spacer possibly to make up for the bolt length though:confused:

4. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    The side-cases and the top-case from Honda will prevent you from running with the grab-rail covers on, since they both use those two bolt to mount to the VFR's frame. If you want no grab-rails & luggage, you'll want to explore soft luggage. There are a couple of options I've heard of from other threads, but like the ability to lock my gear in a water-tight case. - Paul

5. bounce_man

bounce_man New Member

Canada
    Map
    hard bag install

i put on the factory hard bags last year. the framework replaces the factory passenger grab bars and intigrates a new set. pretty slick. i should mention that this is forthe trunk, not the side bags.

bounce

6. Zap

Zap New Member

Thanks for all the info about the bags! I got mine installed this morning (after I put the passenger grab rails back on). I was going to do it myself, but decided to let the dealer do it. It only took him about an hour; for me, who knows how long it would have taken. Anyway, so far I like them a lot. They definitely make the bike more versatile for around-town errands, not to mention weekend trips.

7. sloan

sloan New Member

Pictures, pictures! :smile:

I plan to put the white Honda bags on my '06 next month. What did it cost to get them and have them installed, if you don't mind me asking? My stealer says I can get the bags for $899 and I'll probably let them put them on too.

8. Zap

Zap New Member

Installation took 1.15 hours and cost $83.19, which includes state tax and a $2.00 shop materials fee.

9. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    Save your money and do it yourself. It should only take @ an hour to do, including figuring out the instructions. After the initial install, it takes @ 10 min. to remove or reinstall the brackets so you can clean up the rear when you want.

10. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Install was very simple and straight forward, just remember to leave all the frame bolts loose until its all bolted. And use the bottom set of holes in the plate that goes behind the license plate light.