Bleeding VFR brakes

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by druggrepp, May 11, 2008.

1. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

linked brakes, Truly a pain to bleed.
    When i bought my '99 vfr the front brakes were spongy so i bled them without buying a manual.
    WARNING! There are 2 bleed valves on front calipers. The one in the middle is for rear brake action of linked brakes. This is what I bled without consulting manual.
    To bleed front brakes, only use the top bleeder at the uppermost of fr calipers. Do the left side first because the line is farther from the master cylinder. It only takes 4 good suctions with suction type brake bleeder to empty the reservoir, a helper would be nice.
    Then the right side and Voila, a nice hard fr brake lever!

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the heads-up! I have to bleed the brakes too for maintenance pretty soon and it's gonna be my first time. Hopefully I can make it without a swear word ;)

3. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Any links to a set of directions?

4. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    If you want to have a full body shiver, look in the shop manual to see what Honda would like you to do... Yikes!

5. Firehand

Firehand New Member

I just did look at it: Bleep! Some surgery is less complicated!

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    sounds like an excuse to buy a Mity-Vac brake bleeder sucker that you hook up to your air compressor. Once you use one, you will never go back to the old way. Bleeding linked brakes sucks!!! You should do a modern BMW with abs if you wana pull your hair out and actually have to look at your notes on the sequence of opening bleeder valves and such. Good Luck!

7. Karmadog

Karmadog New Member

So, is there a link to "How to Bleed VFR800 Linked Brakes...I don't see a reply? How about it out there? Cheers from the tip of Lake Superior

8. Firehand

Firehand New Member

There is a link to the shop manual that describes it, but I can't get the search function to work right now; soon as can, will see if can find it again

9. Karmadog

Karmadog New Member

Thanks....I actually have a manual. However, I was wondering if there was a simple listing of the order of activities from beginning to end. Also wondering about the value of SPEED BLEEDERS vs all other options. I have seen such mixed comments. Maybe people just stick with whatever they try first? I guess people at the track are going to want to have a semi-professional vacuum tool, what is best for "home use," once a season kind of stuff? Cheers, Karmadog

10. Firehand

Firehand New Member

If you can find a simple way, let us know. I'll need to replace the fluid in mine this spring.

The manual shows 'suck out all the fluid in this sequence, then replace it all in this sequence'. I'm wondering if could use a vacuum tool at each bleeder in sequence, just keep the reservoir full as you go; seems like less hassle, and less chance of winding up with some troublesome bubbles hiding away.