Adjusting Valves / TDC

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by cromanyak, May 19, 2008.

1. cromanyak

cromanyak New Member

I'm adjusting the valves on my 84 VF500F. It's only the second valve adjustment I've done. I haven't done any on this motor. The problem is I can't seem to get the #4 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. It says there should be play in both rocker arms but I've tried like 5 times and there's no play whatsoever. Should I just set the #1 cylinder to TDC then turn it 90 degrees to the next timing mark? The books says that should be TDC on the compression stroke. Is it possible they're that out of adjustment?

thanks,

Chris

2. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    Easy way to find TDC compression stroke. Turn the engine over the same direction as when it runs. Watch the intake valve(s) of the cylinder in question close. The very next TDC on that cylinder is the compression stroke.

3. ssajdowitz

ssajdowitz New Member

My 85 VF500F has a threaded aluminum plug on the right side cover. A large flat screwdriver will remove it. Rotate the engine until the "TR" or "TF" marks align with the cast triangle on the cover. TF means TDC Front cylinders. TR means TDC Rear cylinders. But, double check by looking into the plug hole just to be sure.
    The next TDC after the intake valve closes is compression TDC.

4. cromanyak

cromanyak New Member

I just did what they recommend in the book. Get the #1 cylinder to TDC then rotate it 90 degrees to get the #4 cylinder where it needs to be. It runs al heck of alot better now. I still have to sync the carbs again. Slowly but surely I'm getting her in tune though. Thanks for the help.

Chris