Hey Ontario - HWY 407 - Ouch!

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by xShadowrider, May 20, 2008.

1. xShadowrider

xShadowrider New Member

Had to use the 407 last weekend and found it hugely annoying!

Anyone elese bothered by the bumpy ride on this route? Could it be my suspension?

Asphalt is smooth as glass in comparison.

2. bear

bear New Member

Map
    Joys of concrete roads in a frost environment.... try asphalt on the 401 westbound from Liverpool road in the collectors...they have ground it down for repaving sometime in the next 2 months... downright scary on a bike.

3. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

I just rode from the Milton area to the Brockville area a week ago today. I took the 407 just to try it and maybe miss some traffic. I didn't find it to be all that bad. I just got a pair of new tires installed and maybe that helped. I don't think they will ever get concrete to be as smooth as asphalt. I used to ride on the 401 across the city when it was first widened and concrete in the 60's. I'll tell you right know that the ride was nothing like a VFR. I rode the 407 to the end at Brooklin then followed som nice two lane stuff over to Taunton Road then south to Bowmanville. I took No 2 to Port Hope then to 401 to Brockville. It was a real nice ride. The weather was perfect. I guess I'll wait and see how much the bill will be for the ride on the 407. As far as your ride is concerned did you check the tire air pressure. You might try to adjust the rear suspension. If it seems fine on the black top I would not think that an adjustment is required.

4. xShadowrider

xShadowrider New Member

We must be of the same vintage as I remember riding/driving the 401 back in the 60's.

I rode the 407 from the access just past Trafalgar through to HWY 404 and on the way back did the reverse. I only have about 2500 klicks on mine so likewise the tires are new but I just noticed that it was a much more jarring ride than the asphalt. Might have the suspension set to hard and need to dial it back some.

5. xShadowrider

xShadowrider New Member

The same has been done around my area too. Both eastbound and westbound lanes between Guelph Line and the Milton exit were scraped for some distance at least a month ago if not more. It's a lot smoother now with all the truck traffic pounding it then it was when it was first ripped up.