6th Gen Heli Bar Install - See It Before You Try It!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ottrod, May 31, 2008.

1. ottrod

ottrod New Member

From the info on this forum, it sounded to me like the heli bars would be the perfect mod for my 2006 VFR. Being 46, and more into cruising / touring, and a little less into the "serious" sport handling (but still like to have my fun!!!), the heli bars and my Zero Gravity sport touring w/s should make the VFR pretty close to the perfect bike for me.

Here's how my Heli bar installation went:

The tools I used were:

Large flat blade screw driver
    #2 Phillips screw driver
    #2 apex phillips tip (because I couldn't find my stubby phillips)
    A couple of punches
    12mm box end wrench
    8mm socket and ratchet
    6mm allen (straight socket type)
    Torque wrench
    Tape measure
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Paper towels
    Grinder with cut-off wheel

Here's some misc pics of the factory bars and the lock to lock spacing.

Attached Files:

2. ottrod

ottrod New Member

The first thing I did was to cover up as much of the front of the bike as I could, then VERY CAREFULLY used the grinder / cut-off wheel to remove the brake line locator tab per the heli bar instructions. Once this was done, I used the 12mm box end wrench to loosen the banjo fitting and rotate the front brake line 3/4" forward - then re-tightened fitting.

Next, I removed the factory grip - trying not to destroy it, as I did not have replacements handy. The alcohol lubricates the grip while doing this, without making things permanently slimey. Once the grip is off, turn it back right side out. If possible, try to get the grip off without going completely inside out - as it can be a #$%&* to get back the right way!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  3. ottrod

ottrod New Member

2 phillips head screws hold the throttle / switch housing together. The front brake master cylinder is secured with (2) 8mm screws. Once the m/c and throttle housing are loose, I loosened the stock bar (12mm bolt). I pulled the bar off the fork tube, then slid it out of the throttle tube.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Now, the only semi-PITA part of this install - removing the stock damper units.

When looking at the end of the factory bars, you will notice holes that have triangle tabs in them. These retaining tabs must be compressed while twisting and pulling the damper unit from the bar. I left the damper weight installed, to give something to hang on to, then gave everything a shot of alcohol to help lube the internal rubber. Once the tabs are clear of the holes, just keep pulling until it comes out.

Attached Files:

5. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Here's some comparison shots of the stock bar and the Heli bar:

Attached Files:

6. ottrod

ottrod New Member

I did a quick trial fit of the Heli bar - needed to gently pry the lug apart a bit to get it on the fork tube. Then I removed it and went about installing the damper unit into the Heli bar. Once again, I used alcohol to lube everything during he installation. Make sure that the retaining tabs are lined up with the retaining holes. When you get to the point of getting the retaining sleeve started, take your time and make sure it is started all the way around - again, verifying the tabs are lined up with the holes. From this point, be sure to push straight in - do not twist. Once the tabs clear the holes, pull the damper out until the tab is against the edge of the hole.

Attached Files:

7. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Next, (don't forget to do this) is to re-arrange the brake / master cylinder and throttle assy so the brake line is in front of the throttle cables. I did this by disconnecting the brake switch wiring, then snaking the brake assy through the throttle cables and elect. wiring until I got the desired result. Then, reverse of the dis-assembly, slip the bar through the throttle, slip bar onto fork tube, then mount the brake assy. I left everything loose until I was sure everything was where I wanted it.

Attached Files:

8. jeff8478

jeff8478 New Member

Nice Pics

Seems vaguely familiar, though my own install involved much more emotion (cursing and swearing over the damper unit removal).

9. ottrod

ottrod New Member

When re-installing the throttle assy, make sure the locating pin finds the locating hole - it will not go together if you don't.....learned that the hard way!!

I centered the brake / MC clamp bar between the bar weld and the throttle housing.

Attached Files:

10. ottrod

ottrod New Member

...oh, there was much of that...I just didn't share that part!

11. ottrod

ottrod New Member

More comparison shots - stock bar still installed on the left, Heli installed on the right:

Attached Files:

12. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Here's how I did my alignment - First photo shows the stock bar with the locating tab. I lined up the lug opening of the heli bar with the center of the stock bar alignment tab opening (second and third photos). Worked perfectly.

BTW, I spaced the bars 1/4" above the tree.

Attached Files:

13. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Now with the learning curve of the right side over with, the left side was a snap!
    :strong:

Attached Files:

14. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Once I was absolutely sure everything was in its place, I torqued the heli bar clamps to 12 foot/pounds with the 6mm allen and torque wrench.

Attached Files:

15. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Finished product:

Attached Files:

16. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice job. Always nice to see a "how to" with lots of pictures.

Action

17. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Road test and conclusion:

The install took me about 5 hours - including the extra time taking the pictures.

Wow, what a difference!

I am much more comfortable on the bike. I feel much more natural while just cruising around, and still am able to get into a more aggressive position if I want.

One of the most notable (and unexpected) benefits for me was noticed while under braking - I feel MUCH less stress on my hands and arms during braking, and no longer feel like I am going to get launched over the bars if I am on the brakes hard.

I give this mod an "A+++" - I would recommend this mod to anyone who is a casual rider, but still likes to have "VFR fun" at will.

If I had a Sargent seat, I think the bike would be perfect for me....but that's another story!

Keith

18. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Thanks!

I get a kick out of doing things like this - and if it helps anyone, that's a bonus!

Keith

19. benjammer

benjammer New Member

Ottrod, great write up, and great quality pictures. It's funny, I just installed the Heli's on mine today and I'm glad I'm not the only one who did allot of cussing. Took me pretty much all day between breaks, and making sure everything was lining up correctly. I plan on test driving tomorrow to see the results.
    Again, Great Job.

20. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Thanks!

If your situation and tastes are anything like mine, you'll love them - much more enjoyable ride!

Keith