New 08 VFR800 for me!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I finally broke down and made a decision - yep, you guessed it, I'm in this forum, so it must be the VFR800!
    I went into the showroom and sat on the Bandit 1250S and didn't like the ergos as well. Then, I sat on the VFR, and there wasn't any question - the riding position felt the best, the dash looked the best, and the weight distribution felt the best. And well...it just had that old Honda comfort associated with it.
    Soooooooo......
    There are a couple of things that are unsettled so far...
    Since this is my first sportbike, I was hoping for something with a real nice roar to the engine....not sure I'm going to get that with this bike (except when the VTEC kicks in?). Anyone got an audiofile of the engine sound?
    Also, I always wanted to learn how to wheelie, but I'm thinking that there isn't going to be enough low end grunt to do that from a slow start. Am I wrong?
    Third, for the amount I paid, I think I could have gotten the new CBR1000. But it can't do the sport touring, so that shouldn't matter.
    Fourth, there's going to be a model change next year, so I'm likely going to get hosed on resale, right? I get the feeling that the replacement bike won't have near the goodies that this bike does....single-sided swingarm, fancy wheels, etc, so maybe our bike will go up in value. (I've seen this happen with my XR650L - Honda really jacked up the price of them in 07 and 08 such that I could sell my 05 for what I paid). Whatever the case, I'm pretty happy.
    I'm bringing it home on Friday, so I'll try to post some pics after that. Of course, it's stock, so they won't be that interesting.
    Can anyone suggest how I should break the bike in?
    It's got Metzler tires - do they work well?
    Anything else I should know before riding it first?
    Cheers,
    J
    :ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb:

2. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    congrats jay and welcome to our elite group!

i can tell by the long line of :ncb: that your stoked bout your new ride!

go to the search bar and pick up on the thread 'why a VFR over a CBR'. you'll probably find that interestin reading.

in terms of exhaust note, with the addition of a set of cans you can unleash the true sound of the V4. its a unique sound and quite awesome. i did a search on google the other day researchin exhusts for the gen 6 and found a you tube thread that had sound & vision clips from 6 differant gen6 bikes with differant aftermarket exhust cans. the sound variance was amazing.
    from memory the staintunes & remus were my pers fav's. but do some research and once again use the forum search function and the forum list to
    pick up the accumulated wisdom from around here.

as far as performance goes theres plenty to assist there. cans, power commander & filter is a good start. youve got gearing options as an option too. the good thing is thats its possible to customise the VFR to your requirement. all it costs is time & $$$$$!

metzler is a very good tyre generally, but it does depend on exactly which one you've got. I got some michelin macadams on my new VTR once that were total rubish but the michelin pilot powers i replaced them with were sublime. tyres are very much a personal taste thing, try em & see how you go. ohhh, and take it easy till you scrub em in good & proper.

(see the thread about the guy who dropped his brand new bike meters away from the dealership after he picked it up....aaaarrrggghhh what a nitemare!)

so , the question everyone wants to know....what colour did ya get?????

(and pictures of new bikes are always appreciated):tongue:

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map

Congratulations on your new bike and :welcome: to VFRworld, the V4 is considered to be one of the best sounding bikes on the road, check out these sound clips and decide for your self...

Staintunes

YouTube - Staintune exhaust sound
    YouTube - 2003 VFR with Staintune exhaust

Leo's

YouTube - vfr800-original & leo vince exhaust
    YouTube - VTEC VFR

Laser

YouTube - Honda VFR800 (2004) - Laser Deeptone Exhaust (2/4)
    YouTube - VFR 800 - Laser Exhaust

Remus

YouTube - Honda VFR 800 and Remus Exhaust

Micron

YouTube - Micron slip-on on a Honda VFR800 2003
    YouTube - 2003 Honda VFR800 w/Micron exhaust

Two Brothers

1995 VFR with Two Brothers Exhaust

1995 VFR with Two Brothers Exhaust

4. ILVFR75

ILVFR75 New Member

congrats jayzonk on the new purchase! i think that you'll be very happy with the VFR.
    the sound from this bike is one of its best attributes. it sounds like nothing else on the road and personally, i like that a lot. some aftermarket cans will definitely free things up a bit. i just recently ordered a pair of Leo Vince slip-ons. haven't recvd them yet, but heard them thru some clips on YouTube and can't wait until they arrive. have fun picking up your new toy and ride safe!

5. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    someone just about dropped their ride outside the dealership? Yikes!!:eek:
    I'll try to find the thread. Anyone remember the thread writer or the title? Date? Was it a tire issue?
    The color is silver/grey, and I'm stoked about it most definitely!
    Can anyone comment on the ability of the bike to wheelie? Or even just get the front tire up a foot?

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Congrats on the new bike. Get used to it, the feel of it, get used to the handling, cornering, and have fun. Wheelies are a dangerous thing to attempt. If you do so, please do so on empty roads/parking lots as not to injure others around you. Not to mention, they are hard on the bike, and you will be so sad if you drop your new pride and joy. :soapbox:

Here is another thread on wheelieing.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/fifth-generation-1998-2001/15170-wheelies.html

7. TrickyGirl

TrickyGirl New Member

Welcome!

Just quick comment on wheelies....I just bought a 2004 VFR800 with blow fork seals, pretty sure it's from the previous guy doing wheelies and stoppies....So keep in mind the extra cost (couple hundred bucks if you can't do the work yourself) incured with having to replace blown fork seals if you want to do wheelies, plus the mess that the fork oil makes all over your nice new clean bike.:smile:

Maybe buy a dirt bike and do wheelies till cows come home!

8. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have to admit, the Leo Vince pipes sound the best to me! Is that a change I can make myself?
    As for wheelies, you're right - dangerous and hard on the suspension, I suspect. Would just like to be able to do a small front wheel lift in 2nd or 3rd.
    How did the new VFR owner almost dump his bike when he left the showroom?
    BTW, I'm looking for a short riding boot(to the ankle). Has anyone tried RedWing? What bout the Icon Super Duty 2? Any other suggestions?
    I am going to look at the thread that compares the VFR to the CBR1000...

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Welcome and congrats on getting your VFR! It is one of the best all around bikes on the planet.

Ok, I dont mean to be a jackass but puuuhhhhh-llleeeeaaaasssssseee get some major miles on your new ride but you even attempt something goofy like a wheelie. You said its you first sportbike, right? Well the stats are you have a 50/50 chance of dropping it in the first month. I'm sure there are newbies here that can tell you their story. I seen lately one too many new bike owners wreck within days of their purchase. Some didnt make it.

Again please work on your basic skills - a sportbike handles a lot different than a cruiser. You need to get repetition going so the actions become firmware in your brain so they become automatic when you need them for an emergency.
    Sorry I came on like a cranky bastard.

Good luck!
    MD

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    here's the sad story about dropping the bike.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/sixth-generation-2002-2007/15419-im-officially-idiot.html

your right on the leo vince pipes, id forgotten about them!

and thanks RW for the you tube sound links!

11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I've said many times you can get all the sound and speed you want out of your VFR(pipes, gearing etc). Bur Mello Dude is 100% right! You should get used o your new toy first. I personally waited 2000 miles on my '08. Keep her safe bro!!!!

12. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will guarantee that I will be very cautious for the first few thousand miles on the bike, and probably for all of the time I own it. For me, I've got big thoughts of driving like a hooligan, but when I get in that seat, I'm all serious, and I will continue to be.
    Richard, how did you almost drop your new bike?

13. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Okay, despite all of the worry and concern I had, I finally got my VFR home, and I have one thing to say.....:yousuck: ....just kidding!!
    Well, to sum it up, I'm :party2::party2::party2: about my new bike!!!!
    My first trip was 123km from the dealership to home. Here's my ride notes:
    1. The bike looks really sharp in the new charcoal grey, and I couldn't be happier with the colour.
    2. The bike sounds great, even with stock pipes, when you move into the 5000 rpm range and up. Aftermarket pipe in the future, but I'll take stock for now.
    3. Transmission. The bike shifts very smoothly, but there's a lot of "pullback" when you let off the gas to shift, and it makes the transition seem a little unsmooth. My XR doesn't have this phenomenon associated with it, but it doesn't really matter. I'm wondering if this is because the bike is new or because I'm taking too much time to shift gears (but I don't think I am).
    4. Wind protection is very good, and I'm very happy there behind the screen.
    5. Noise. I couldn't hear the engine at all when I got up to highway speed. I wasn't expecting this because I can hear my XR thumping along at any speed, and it makes it easy to know where to shift. So by not hearing the engine, I couldn't use my ear to determine my shift points. But I kept my eye on the tach, and generally shifted up when I crossed 5000 rpm, and shifted down when I fell below it. I'm going to vary my rpm's, as suggested by the dealer.
    6. Power. I've read some threads where guys have complained about the power, and I'm not sure why. Of course, I'm coming from a dual sport bike, so you might guess that I'm easily impressed. Well, I feel the power is more than ample, and it's enough to get me into all kinds of trouble if I want. As for the V-Tec, I only got the revs up to 6600 once (or was it 7000?) on the highway in sixth gear - I went from 130km/hr to 150km/hr in the blink of an eye - literally! I loved it, and I think that kind of power is great. Once the tyres are worn in a bit(and I've got more experience), I'll get the revs up higher and feel that V-Tec at lower speeds.
    7. Weight I didn't feel any weight problems at all. In fact, I like the weight of the bike, as I felt less susceptible to wind gusts on the road than on my [light] XR650L. I was really paranoid about this "top heavy" phenomenon that guys are talking about, so I suppose I was very aware of that, but I really didn't feel it was an issue. Maybe it will be later in a tighter situation (ie. other than cruising down a relatively straight, flat highway).
    8. Wrist/hand/back pain. The only discomfort I felt was a little pain in my left hand and A LOT of numbness in my right pinky finger.
    9. Handling The highway was pretty straight, so I didn't really experience the handling effects of the bike. I did run into some wet roads, but the bike still felt really stable on the road. Cornering seems easier compared to my XR, probably because I'm not sitting up so high.
    10. Compared to my old Sportster from years back this thing is a gem! I can't believe I rode that piece of crap, given the technology, performance, and handling of this bike. Wow, what a difference! The only thing it did for me was help me be a better-prepared rider. I suggest that others starting out ride those junk boxes for awhile so they can sharpen their skills a bit, then move over to a decent Japanese bike that has some road manners, technology, and durability.
    11. Brakes felt good, but not overly powerful - I felt I needed only light pressure with the foot pedal to get adequate, balanced braking from the front and rear brakes, and that suits my riding just fine. I may realign my thinking if I ever have to make a sudden stop, but right now, I'm pretty confident in the brakes.
    12. Gauges/Instruments. Everything is easy to read, and I like the engine/air temp guage. However, it'd be nice to see a gear indicator on the dash (did I miss that?), or a shift light. I know, a shift light doesn't really make sense, given the wide rev range, but it I can't hear a damn thing inside that helmet!
    13. Road manners. I did mildly lift off the seat slightly when I went over a small pothole on the highway. Not sure if I should be too concerned about this, as I'm sure the rear spring will soften up a bit. If not, I can get the rebound adjusted, right?
    14. All-in-all, I'm really really happy with my bike!
    Now, does anyone know how to post photos?

Attached Files:

14. ewryly

ewryly New Member

Looks great, Jayzonk!

15. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    That is a great looking color! Congrats on the purchase.

There's an aftermarket fix for the gear indicator issue. But the name escapes me right now.

Vs

16. nessus

nessus New Member

Congrats on the bike. If i can say, VFR is very good looking bike, nicest in the world.

The shifting was problem(not very smooth) for me to, it needs more ridening, i think.

......Side lights??? Are they in all new bikes ?

17. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Those aren't side lights - those are the reflectors. Because I took the photos at night, the flash tends to make them reflect back into the camera.

18. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Wow, I finally felt the VTEC! It was positively :ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb::ncb:
    I was going about 110km/hr and rolled on the throttle fairly quickly....the bike hit 6500 rpm and crack! The engine revved up to 9500, I shifted again, rolled the throttle up again, but kept it above 6500 all the time. It felt like I was up to 170km/hr in less than four seconds! And not a single wobble....it seemed like a seamless transition from 2 valves/cyl to 4. And the engine sound was phenomenal. In my last message, I said that I couldn't hear the engine, but that was at 5000rpm. Well, I heard it now when I cracked the throttle!
    BTW, am I supposed to be limiting my revs during the break-in?
    What a thrill!! Remember, I've never been on an inline four, so this is the most fun I've ever had!

19. tgreene5

tgreene5 New Member

Congrats on the new bike!! Very nice looking bike!!

Have fun!

Theresa

20. nessus

nessus New Member

We dont have them in europe(exept if i put theme). are they standarte in new bikes?