vibration

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by siva, Jun 19, 2008.

1. siva

siva New Member

Hello friends i need help. I purchased this 2002 vfr last year and i was very happy with the bike until i gave the bike to service also fix the recall. Due to the wiring harness arriving delay bike was in the shop for two weeks so i decided to do the maintainence. Dealer service the bike including changing the brakes.
    First thing i notice since i got the bike from the shop was Vibration at the left foot and under the seat and it was very annoying (feel like phone vibrator).This bike so smooth and no vibration at all anytime prior to bringing to the shop.Next day i took the bike back to the shop due to the busy schedule they did not check my bike until three weeks. Finally they check the bike and they came up with nothing ,mecahnichs claiming everything is fine.
    The vibration coming from near the chain area like a wave and it go up to the under the seat.(feel like vibrator on your butt).
    Help me please any suggestions

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Wish I could help, I'm a bit of a vib tech. Sounds like an insulator or rubber mount thing was left out. Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that you gotta be there to figure it out.

Good luck,
    MD

3. Ignorant Bystander

Ignorant Bystander New Member

Check under your seat for annoyed squirrels and/or raccoons (be careful when removing the seat & wear Kevlar gardening gloves).

har har

Seriously, though: does the vibration change with change in speed? If so, is it based on engine speed or road speed? (check by selecting different gears at the same mph) Does it happen in neutral while stopped?

In any case, check your chain (and sprockets) carefully for wear, and clean/lube/adjust your chain if it's been a while.

And never, ever store peanut butter under your seat, especially the crunchy type.

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Like was mentioned, check for missing rubber gromets, bushings, or if some bolt is loose, or not put in correctly. Like MD said, this is one where you would probably have to be there to figure it out.

5. siva

siva New Member

mechanich said the sprockets and chain are fine..Three technician looked at the bike due to iwas pissed off with them and they all came to same conclusion......i had a gutt feeling they screwed something uP.....I thinking about call the honda because the bike was fine till i took it to the shop...What you think

6. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    Check your chain tension at various points of wheel rotation. A worn chain will develop tight spots and if it's adjusted too tight to accomodate these tight spots, the result will be vibration felt in the pegs and seat. it happens a lot...

7. Ignorant Bystander

Ignorant Bystander New Member

Very interesting. Your opinion reeks strongly of logic and experience.

Trust me: check for squirrels.

8. Sye

Sye New Member

This is your problem. Mechanics always set the chain tension on the tight side as it will loosen with use. Back the chain adjustment off until you have a good 25 - 35mm of slack up and down and it will go away. All VFR's are sensitive to a tight chain.

Good luck.

9. geronpg

geronpg New Member

speaking of chain tension- anybody know of a good substitute tool for the spanner wrench for adjusting the chain? My used bike didn't have the tool kit, and I'm trying to avoid paying $69 for the kit. But I'm willing to pay it if I really need the stuff that's in there.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    In a pinch when I couldnt find my fricken wrench, I have got out a large flat blade screwdriver and just find one of the slots and tap it easy with a rubber hammer to sneak up on the tightness of the chain that you want.

Geez the stock wrench is a cheap piece of steel, probly worth a whole buck.

MD

11. geronpg

geronpg New Member

yep, I'd thought about trying that, but want to be sure not to bang up those slots. I guess if that drum is loose enough, it should work.
    thanks,

12. brutus

brutus New Member

I suspect the chain is too tight as well. I just replaced the the chain and both sprockets on my 2001 @ 29,000 miles. It's made a huge difference in smoothing it out. The shifting and steady state cruise are much improved.

I had the dreaded too tight-too loose scenario, and could not get the proper tension, thus the new parts. As for the adjusting spanner, like mello said, you can use the screw driver method, but be gentle....no harm done.