Alpinestars SMX-4 Plus boots

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by WhiteKnight, Jun 25, 2008.

1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

The Alpinestars SMX-4 Plus boot replaced my previous boots, which were also Alpinestars.

These boots are extremely comfortable (I could wear them all day....wait.......I have. :smile:). They are vented to allow air to flow through the boot to keep one feet cooler than a non-vented boot. They fit pretty good too. They have plastic external ankle support.

Pros:
    Comfortable (did I mention that earlier?)
    Ankle support
    Vented
    Replaceable toe sliders

Cons:
    Sometimes difficult to zipper if you don't have the lace tight enough.

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://lapi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EKServer&ai=vgdiza%7De&bdrcolor=666666&cid=0&eksize=1&encode=UTF-8&endcolor=FF0000&endtime=y&fbgcolor=EFEFEF&fntcolor=000000&fs=0&hdrcolor=FFFFCC&hdrimage=10&hdrsrch=n&img=y&lnkcolor=0000FF&logo=12&num=25&numbid=y&paypal=n&popup=y&prvd=9&query=Alpinestars+%22SMX+4%22&r0=3&shipcost=n&siteid=0&sort=MetaEndSort&sortby=endtime&sortdir=asc&srchdesc=n&tbgcolor=FFFFFF&tlecolor=333333&tlefs=0&tlfcolor=FFFFFF&toolid=10004&track=5335977258&width=570"></script>

2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

How does the size match up to US sizes? As an example, I have a size 10 foot but I wear Thorlo Combat Boot Socks which are extremely thick so all my boots are size 11. My Sidi's are 45's.

How much $$$ did you pay.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

3. t money

t money New Member

I have the Alpinestars smx boot and they are indeed comfortable. Easy on and off and I love them. I wear shoe size 9 to 9.5. Most of the time closer to a 9.5. I have the 43 euro and they fit perfect, the 44's too big. Great boot, hard to believe a boot can keep your feet cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather, but it does.

4. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    LIke t-money said, they fit really good. I have a small foot, 6.5 and the Euro 40 fits extremely well and should be a really close conversion. I think I paid about $250 for mine, but I don't exactly remember. The S-MX4 is $200 on Alpinestars web site, so the Plus may be a little bit more expensive. Overall, wel worth the money I spent.

5. porcupine73

porcupine73 New Member

United States
    Map
    Do you have any trouble shifting with this boot? I got some Fox boots but there is no way I can upshift the viffer with them on. Maybe I can move the lever upwards some.

6. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    No problems shifting with this boot at all.

7. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Let me just add that these are durable. I've been wearing them for well over 20,000 miles and I've only replaced the inserts. Many track day, tours and a couple spills with them also. I'll be getting a new pair very shortly. Best bang for the buck boot out there for comfort and sporting capabilities.

8. whiteboyslo

whiteboyslo New Member

Map
    +1, although i only have the SMX4 (not the plus). i tried on many many brands before i settled on this boot. the biggest selling point was the comfort. these things fit fantastically and are super comfortable. but they're also full of great features. shifting is a little odd for me right now, but the boots these are replacing were the first and only boots i've ever ridden in, so it probably just needs some getting used to.

as far as fit, Alpinestar runs pretty big. i wear size 14 or 15 in pretty much every brand of shoe. according to Alpinestar, that means i SHOULD be wearing a size 50. however, i lucked out and found a pair of 50s at my local Cyclegear only to find i was swimming in them. long story short, i ended up getting 48s (even though they make 49s) and they fit PERFECTLY. and according to Alpinestar, that's a 12.5!!!!!

the only downside with them is i have on helluva time getting them off, but maybe that will change as they break in more.

after doing some research, i found that many many other people have found the same thing with this brand, so heads up if you plan on ordering online.

also, the SMX4 is being discontinued. most places aren't advertising it all that much, and no one is giving a price break. they're $200 anywhere you go, with the exception of here:

www.motosport.com

they have them for $189.95 and are offering free FedEx 2 Day shipping. i ordered from them with no issues.

Mike

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Have had the SMX4 Gortex for 8 months replacing my old Alpinestars Vortex Gortex have found them great for fun and being 100% waterproof also brilliantly comfortable for distance.

10. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, holy thread ressurection...

I'm looking between the SMX-Plus boots (with discount about $297) and the SIDI Vertigo (about $300). Looking them over, it appears that you can replace more on the SIDI than on the Alpinestars, but what is the general opinion on comfort, shifting feel, etc. between these 2 boots?

11. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I have never worn a pair of Sidi's so I can't really give a comparison between them.

12. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

See this thread: http://vfrworld.com/forums/apparel-reviews/21982-boot.html

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2: