VFR down for now - Got a Yamaha Thundercat for now

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by emon07, Jul 17, 2008.

1. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have to get some work done on my 5th Gen 2k VFR. Sometimes when I turn the VFR on, the FI light will not go out and the bike does not start. When the bikes does start the idle goes up to 3k - 4k RPM. Once the bike has been running and the temp is about 235 degrees the bike cuts off. When I try to start nothing comes on (no display - nuthin), after a few more tries it does start, but with a very rough idle. I can smell anti-freeze and the bike is not leaking anything. I park my bike outside most of the time and try to keep it covered. Sometimes when it is in the rain and not covered I noticed that I do see some antifreeze leaking after the rain. I also thought maybe I got some bad gas and tried some dry gas, but problem still remains - also checked the anti-freeze fluid. I am in NYC, but have not been able to find a shop that does good work and everybody is too busy to work on the bike now. I was able to find a shop in NJ to check the bike and order any necessary parts and then I will have to bring it back because their shop has no room to keep my bike there. Since this is gonna be a mission and my only transportation is my bike I had to get a second bike. I do still have an old 94 Suzuki Intruder crusier, but it has been sitting up and needs work also (finding a shop that will work on a bike 10 years and older is very difficult). I wanted something for occasional trackdays and something I could use around town and to commute to work. Figured it would take some of the daily beating off my VFR since the streets in NYC are very bad. I wanted to find a CBR FI but funds limited my choices. I did find a 98 CBR in mint condition with custom plastics and only 4,600 miles on it. It was a kid selling the bike and he could not find the title. So I went for the second choice which is a 2003 Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat with a little over 9k miles. I really did not want a bike with carbs, but I was able to get the 2003 Thundercat for $3k. The Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat is really a good bike, it is very comfortable, handles very well, and on the street I would eat up a VFR with the beefy midrange and that wonderful inline 4 engine, (of course that depends on the rider). The highway is a different story because since the bike is completely stock it has nothing on the top end. The Thundercat I bought is completely stock (even the can is stock and sounds pathetic). Anyone with some suggestions to help the Thundercat's performance on the top end would be appreciated. I see the bike is very popular in the UK and has a really dedicated following that is similar to the VFR cult of riders here. I have to get tires because it is running Bridgestones (which are a good name tire), but I do not like them at all and they scare me in the rain. I want to put Avon Storm ST tires on the Thundercat. I am also thinking of looking for an Arrow can for the bike and then going with stage 2 jetting. I want to have the suspension re-done, and I am thinking about getting GMD Computrack to do the setup with a rear Penske shock and a tapered head bearing, fork springs and re-valve (kinda expensive but I should be able to get a discount through the school I do some coaching at). Also, how does a CBR FI compare to the 03 Thundercat as far as performance on the top end? I may use the bike as a trade-in for a newer leftover bike at the end of the season so I gotta make up my mind before I spend money on my Thundercat. Any help or suggestions to get better performance from the Thundercat on the top end would be appreciated. I will post a pic of the bike shortly. I think Yamaha riders are into beautifying their bikes - most Yamaha riders I see keep their bikes clean and have all kinds of cosmetic upgrades.

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Sounds like the VFR has quite a few issues. The r/r is suspect due to the numerous electrical symptoms. The overheating can still be a symptom of the r/r. The ecu is suspect if the r/r thing doesn't hold up, but then the overheating becomes an extra issue.
    Good luck.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    3K for 03 Yamahahahahahaha, That a steal :becky::plane: :ncb: