type of gas

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by gen, Jul 18, 2008.

1. gen

gen New Member

How are you guys? Just wanted to know what type of gas do you guys use on your vfr's? I mean the rating wise. Do you guys use regular or a higher grade? and does it really matter for everyday commute? thanks!:treehugger:

2. winaje

winaje New Member

I'm in Australia, so my experiences will possibly be somewhat different to yours:

I use 98 RON fuel, and find that I get approx 15% more distance from the tank, at approx 8% more cost. Therefore I find it a cost effective purchase.

3. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Our bikes our made to run on 87 octane. I have run 93 and 87 and see no difference.....except in my pocket.

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Unless you live at higher altitudes or are experiencing pinging, use the 87. Using the higher octanes does nothing other than lighten your wallet more.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

5. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    i use the cheap stuff it works good
    i use to use high grade but did not see a difference ?

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    87 octane unless your bike/vehicle requires more. IMO, I believe that it matters more WHERE you buy your gas, than what octane. For instance, some shady no name place selling lower quality gas for less, than sticking with more reputable places.

FYI....we have some whoops of a thread on gas types in here. Do a search, and read the flame war.

7. gen

gen New Member

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better. I was just told by someone to use higher grade just because its a sportbike. So i'll just keep on using regular. Thanks!

8. jkimbro

jkimbro New Member

Map
    I actually am running a test on my bike to see what the difference between using 87 and 91...so far, it's looking like it's almost the same, if not worse running 91...

9. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I did an experiment too going with 2 tanks on super premium and another 2 on regular and I could not tell a difference with the power.

Just get the 87 octane and even the manual says to use that gas.

10. ILVFR75

ILVFR75 New Member

87 octane for me too. i used mid-grade when i first purchased the bike and switched after VFRW advice. i've noticed no difference in performance/mileage. buy regular and save some dough.

11. Greenviffer

Greenviffer New Member

Map
    I agree 100%. My dad has a client who owned an ARCO station (So. Cal) and the guy would not use his own gas. Personally I like Chevron and would use lower octane chevron over higher octane ARCO

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was told by my mechanic not to use anything higher than 89. The higher is hard on something. Don't remember what. Think it was the circumphanelgeoconnective. Anyways I burned 89 for almost two u=years, then switched to 87 and saw absolutely no difference in performance. Mileage I cannot comment on cause I did not do the comparisons. I can get as high as 51 MPG on the hwy with some VTECH on the 87 so what the hell eh! (That's Canadian for Huh)

13. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Use the lowest octane possible before the ping.My 04 runs regular.My dirtbikes the same,xcept a '90yamxt350 that needed premium because it pinged on reg.Reg gas 86 or higher is good.Depending on the vendor you never know.Like mexico...ole'

14. jkimbro

jkimbro New Member

Map
    I got worse gas mileage using 91 than I did 87. I usually get 195 miles before my light starts blinking when running 87. When running 91 I went only 183. As far as performance, I didn't see any.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Funny this very topic came up in Cougar when SLO grabbed the regular..and I grabbed the super.

16. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    If the motor was designed to run on 87. There's no benefit to run anything higher. It won't help power at all. It may even run slower(dragstrip times). The higher the octane the slower it burns and resists detonation better. Lower burns faster and is for lower compression motors. Unless the chamber design is very efficient then lower octane will not work with higher compression ratios. Aluminum head needs a minimum of 10:1 to be equal to a 9:1 cast iron head if all else is equal for the same power. Your motor I believe are 11:1? See how efficient they are compared to my old 83 motor. It's 10:1 and needs 92 octane so says Honda. If I run lower octane it will rattle (detonate) once up in higher rpms under WFO. It was either 87 or push the bike one day. I didn't push.