locating snorkel on gen 4 airbox?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Taden, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Taden

Taden New Member

Map
    Sorry, I am sure its a newb question but I just want to make sure I remove the right thing. I have searched here and also by way of google and have read all kinds of feedback on snorkel removal and the impact it has on your bikes growl. I recently installed a BMC filter and I have to admit how shocked I am by the performace throttle response difference and most definately the growl my bike picks up at higher revs now! Just awesome. I was hoping the snorkel removal could add to its roar a bit..while I wait for my TBR exhaust in the mail. Im determined to have an "american, ima going to bite your head off" bike sound.:rambo::guitar::focus: I have been unable to find a definitive pic/ description of where the snorkel itself is for removal. My best guess is its at the inlet to the airbox itself but I just want to make sure. I'm sure that others who use search will find this topic useful for future reference.

So where exactly is the snorkel unit?

If I have a bmc filter already will I need to worry about my bike running too lean without the snorkel?

I will (someday it seems) receive my TBR exhaust in the mail, will the bmc, snorkel removal, and tbr exhaust cause me to need to install the pro factory jet kit I have in my drawer (400$ installation job evidently :frown: )?

Once again thanks for the help, this community rocks.

2. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    You want roar for an exhaust, may I recommend D&D, commonly called the loudest on the market. Desnorkeling will increase intake noise, very little else. Jet kit may or may not help, need a dyno to tune it in with. Reading plugs can assist, but not real accurate.

My $.02 worth.

Larry

3. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    If you want to (I wouldn't), it's on the front of your air box, under your tank, just behind the steering stem.

I suggest you read about bellmouth intakes and how they avoid flow separation that will occur across the sharp opening you'll leave behind.

4. Taden

Taden New Member

Map

Here in Tucson we have a shop called Evan Steel Performance...its perhaps one of the best sport bike shops on this side of the country, very popular among pro circuit biker guys. I would go there to get the jet kit installed and dynoed should i decide to take that plunge.

I want an aggresive sounding pipe.. just not a blow peoples windows in aka Harley davidson pipe sound. TBR seemed to be a good bet to go with and i got it for only 350$ which worked for my budget at the time.

Ill read about the bellmouth openings. I have read from alot of 5thgen + owners about taking the snorkel off...wander if its not such a good idea for 4th gen bikes for some reason.

Thanks for the direction on finding the snorkel btw. :party2:

5. Jammerkiller

Jammerkiller New Member

Map
    Hey Taden!

If you asked me, the only reason I can think of you NOT removing the "snorkel" is to prevent more debris into the airbox. When I finally checked my K&N, I found very little debris in the box, with the stock snorkel in place. And the filter was dirty as hell! So, I know it was a while before anyone had cleaned it last.