Clutch Problems

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by V45Dogan, Jul 25, 2008.

1. V45Dogan

V45Dogan New Member

Map
    Folks,
    My clutch system problem - apparently has a small leak.

During my quick spin to check out the front brakes I noticed that the clutch barely disengaged. This is the second time this has happened since I got it back from the Honda dealer about 3 months ago. Last time I added and bled the fluid and it was fine - till now. I noticed then and today, that the fluid was REALLY murky. The Honda dealer was supposed have replaced all fluids and I know I ran about 1/2 can through it to clear it up. The fluid was down today compared to where I left it a few weeks ago. I felt around the system and found just enough fluid at the slave cylinder to see on my finger. That might have been left over from bleeding before but I don't think so.

Sounds like I need to rebuild the slave cylinder. Any other possibilites/thoughts?

If i go into the slave cylinder, where is the best place to get rebuild parts? Is OEM the way to go or are the aftermarket kits OK? Any special cautions or words of advice?

By the way, I installed a set of those ball check bleeder valves on the front brakes. Are there any concerns with these? They do make it easier to bleed brakes by yourself and appear that once seated they have no leak path that the originals wouldn't have. I of course kept the originals to go back if I need to.

Thanks for the help!

2. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

There are no aftermarket slave cylinder rebuild kits. OEM is all you got.

When you open the slave, pull out the clutch pushrod and clean it. If it's been corroded, remove the corrosion, smooth it out and put it in backwards. This way the corroded part won't contact the rubber seal.

This may help when you refill the clutch system: Clutch - SabMagFAQ

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I'm putting a clutch in mine as we speak. Go to cheapcycleparts.com they have the cheapest OEM parts I have found. You should rebuild the master cylinder to. I think the piston with seals was around $35 when I looked the other day.