Strange noise in 6th gear

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Michael D, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Michael D

Michael D New Member

Was riding to work this morning on my 2004 bike when I noticed what appears to be a strange sound that only shows up in 6th gear. Difficult to describe, but maybe like almost a mechanical hiss/scrape, maybe a noise you would associate with an unlubricated set of gears operating at a high speed, or a bike chain scraping on something as it moves.

This only occurs in top gear and only when I give the bike some throttle, but it always occurs.

Don't know if its associated, but the bike tends to lurch forward when I let the clutch out after engaging a gear. This is more a mechanical lurch than a throttle surge. The whole gear engagement thing feels a little delicate and has to be done carefully when traveling at lower speeds.

I bought the bike last week and this is only the second time I have ridden it. The first time was riding it back from where I bought it, and that was done with earplugs, so it is possible that it was making the sound but I was not hearing it.

Your insight would be welcome.

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Michael is your chain adjusted? not saying that this is the issue, I actually have no idea where to even start...

3. Michael D

Michael D New Member

Checked the chain when I got home and there does not appear to be a significantly excess amount of play. Can't figure out why it only happens in 6th.

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Dumb idea, but that is what I do best. Maybe it is helmet noise that is only loud enough to notice at that speed. Just an idea.

5. Michael D

Michael D New Member

Not dumb at all because that went through my mind at first so I slowed down to make sure that that was not the problem. It is the type of noise that you could mistake for something like that.

6. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Front fender/fairing whistle then?

7. jcharth

jcharth New Member

may be is time to change the oil.

8. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  9. Michael D

Michael D New Member

I like simple. Going to clean and re-lube the chain, maybe tighten it a bit and then change the oil. Will let you know if that had any effect.

10. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    I like that idea. Since in 6th the load is less that's where IMO you find the chain slack may show up in noise. If it is loose you may find that it eliminates any kicks during your shifts.

11. Michael D

Michael D New Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses and suggestions.

I cleaned and lubed the chain this morning and re-checked the slack. Seemed somewhat loose so tightened it and took the bike out and still had the noise. Tightened the slack a little more than recommended (probably 3/4" -- maybe just a tad more) and took the bike out and still had the noise, though it did not appear to be as loud and take-up was much less abrupt.

For the past 25 years I have had 3 bikes and they have all bee shaft-drive. What I am staring to think is that I'm just not used to a little chain noise and the potential change in that noise that different loads can produce. Jason, your explanation helped a lot in understanding why the noise appears only in 6th.

12. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Most likely it is just your chain noise, and as Jason noted, it is more noticeable in 6th with it being a taller gear and less load. You said you are used to shaft drives, so this is kinda new to you.

You might want to look at the level of wear on your sprocket teeth, and how much your chain has stretched. Maybe they need replacement. Excessive wear could be causing this noise as well. The o-rings in the chain could be getting worn out as well, causing more friction and noise. I replaced both front and rear sprockets and chain (RK) a couple of months after I got my bike. It seemed to be a tad quieter, shifted better, and looked better (my gold bling bling chain).

As far as the lurching forward, you might want to bleed (and/or flush) your clutch. Look at the condition of your clutch fluid first, and you might have some nasties in there. I just flushed mine, and it has this nasty sludge in the reservior.....it now shifts a lot better. Smooth compared to what it was.

13. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    Old thread, but did you find what caused this sound? I have exactly the same issue on my 5th gen, it only occurs in 6th gear and only when I give the bike some throttle. The sound is quite low, but noticeable. The chain is perfectly adjusted, the oil and filter changed about 2000 km ago (Motul 300V 10W-40).

14. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    sounds like bad chain, they don't have to have that many miles to be worn out-most over looked problem is the chain

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    IMGP0354.jpg time to get this

16. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    The chain is good, driven only 3000 km/2000 miles. An if it was the chain, then there would be the same sound in the other gears, at least 5th gear. As the TS, it only occurs in 6th gear and only when I give the bike some throttle. The sound is there regardless of the speed. I've read some threads and it seems like many others have the same issue on 5th and 6th gen VFR, but is it normal?

17. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I also noticed the same sound in 6th, started last month. Sounds like a bearing noise to me.

18. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    My 6th gen makes a hissing sound during light throttle application in 6th, sometimes it sounds like a brake pad dragging the front rotor though...im not sure what that sound really is but i hear it as well. My bike still makes this horrid sound like it had knobby 4x4 tires roaring, you can only hear it when you pull in the clutch while coasting.

19. danny_tb

danny_tb New Member

Both of my 5th gens had/have this noise. With experimentation, I could get it to happen in lower gears too. The only thing that I coul put it down to is combustion noise (it's there with a brand new, perfectly adjusted chain, so forget about that! People are clutching at straws!). I just ignore it.

20. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I adjusted and oiled my very loose and dry chain and it seems like the sound has gone away....