Why did you choose the VFR over....

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Sako, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Sako

Sako New Member

....other sport touring bikes? Specifically the FJR and the Concours. HP is really the only thing holding me back. Can I get some support on why I should choose the VFR over these others? Thanks.

I want to be certain I didn't miss something in my evaluation.

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Ask and ye shall receive...... a list:
    (1) it's a Honda
    (2) price...the VFR is expensive, but costs less than the other two
    (3) weight: while the other two might be faster (FJR) in a straight line but they aren't gonna corner with the viffer.
    (4) V4's just sound cool

3. terry

terry New Member

From an engineering point of view... it is one of the smartest designed bikes.

•best riding position
    •long service intervals
    •barely any maintenance required
    •chain tightening takes less than 20 seconds, start to finish
    •police in Japan use them because of their versatility
    •build quality: high quality parts used on all internals and fasteners that tend to break or crack on other bikes (my Kawasaki had very flimsy clasps and brackets (ie. tail-light holder) that would crack and would require epoxy or bondo.
    •details: every part on the bike has been well thought out and makes sense.

To me, buying a VFR is like buying a Mac computer. It is ready to go, right out of the box. No upgrades or extras needed. Reliable and smooth operating. And in the end... you usually end up keeping it much longer than your friends have kept their models.

4. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    I made my decision while working as a tech at a Honda/Suzuki dealer then confirmed my decision when we took on Kawasaki. I had seen two friends put 100,000 miles on VFRs. I'm 6'6" tall and my VFR fits me as good as any other bike of this body style. I finally got a 96 back in 99 and sold it some time later and regretted it. So now I have another and I'm keeping it. Of course this is in addition to what the other posters have said.

5. Michael D

Michael D New Member

Gotta go along with Y2Kviffer on the points that this is a Honda and the handling. I just bought mine (a 2004) and purposely targeted a "smaller" (used to be a day when 750cc was the biggest you could get!!) engine displacement to get a better handling bike. Have a friend that has an FJR and it does not come close to changing direction as quick as the VFR.

Nothing against the FJR or the Concourse. I am sure that they will provide a much better experience in a relatively straight line, but for me the fun is in the twisties and its more than a worthwhile tradeoff. Can't see my FJR friend wanting to switch with me because he's a lot more laid back a rider then I am, and in that case the easier-to-access power and the greater overall level of comfort (maybe I need a Sargent seat) are what is important to him.

6. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Simple, i liked it.
    I went to a motorcycle show when i was looking for bikes. I sat on as many bkes as i could to get afeel for what i may like. I wanted a fun bike that i could ride all day and be comfortable.
    I sat on the VFR and it was THE bike. Nothing else matched up except a ducati ST4 and the BMW.
    so went more reaserched them and seems like the vfr was a good reliable fun bike. I waited 2 years before i bought(did not even have my licence when i looked, then putzed around on dads cruisers and goldwing till i could afford it.)
    Every year i would sit on the vfr, and it was the stick that all others where measured. I chose the vfr over the ducati and bmw for price, reliability and well i just liked it and all reviewes where positive. Been very happy.
    I don't crave any other bike atm..(cept maybe a dual sport)

7. cynyc

cynyc New Member

Map
    My list why:...

1. It is extremely rare that I ever see one around here. Matter of fact, VFourBear is a guy I work with and besides his, I can't remember seeing a 5th or 6th gen around here.
    2. It's a Honda.
    3. It has a V4 and the sound is so refreshing compared to the inline 4
    4. Style. I picked the 6th gen because of the razor sharp lines in the front and back.
    5. Dual undertail pipes
    6. Single sided swing arm.
    7. Services intervals are few and far between.
    8. They are reliable.
    9. Seating position is pretty comfortable.
    10. I just plain like the looks of it better than anything out there.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    You guys forgot to metion that the chicks really dig them too! Especially the RWB ones which happen to be the fastest color.

Regards,
    Rollin

9. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Single sided swing-arm is dead sexy and she whines when you ride her(fifth gen).

[​IMG]

10. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    I do have to admite that the single side is awsome.
    I have had comments on my 6th gen such as "WHAT IS THAT!" and it is bone stock.
    also asked what exotic it was...guy fell over when i said honda.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I can agree with all that's been said, especially the whine part.

12. Mac

Mac New Member

I rode one, and still have the grin on my face to show for it.

Mac

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I bought mine because when looking around at something better at everything than my then SV650S my workmate who had a brand new '01 Gen 5 kept answering my questions with " you need a VFR "

Me: I'd like a motorcycle that will is ergonomically comfortable to do higher day distances than my SVS easy limit of 200 miles on.
    Him: You need a VFR.

Me: I'd still like the motorcycle that handles as quickly and easily as the SV did.

Me: I'd like a motorcycle with more grunt than the SV with a good mid range but not stupid fast.

Me: I'd still like the motorcycle to sound as fantastic as my Yoshie equiped SV did.

Me: I'd like an interesting motorcycle that just feels cool to own and ride.

He backed his answers up with Magazine reviews with covers like " VFR THE BEST BIKE ON THE PLANET ", he was of course right I needed and got a VFR. Since owning 2 over the last 5 years have found it ticked all boxes and have wanted for nothing else since. :thumbsup:

14. Greenviffer

Greenviffer New Member

Map
    I think my reasons are the same as most:

• It has Honda reliability
    • I did 800 miles onthe FJR and it is great but too big/heavy
    • The VFR fit me right
    • Sounds great
    • Best all-around bike (commute, tour, play) IMHO
    Thanks

15. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

No doubt on this. A VFR is fairly unique in the sea of straight four repliracers.

I have been asked several times if my bike has a supercharger on it. :shocked:

16. Raro

Raro New Member

Map
    My reasons:

1. I have always thought that it was a great looking bike (Regardless of year).
    2. I get young and old stopping me and asking about it.
    3. Its been around along time and they have worked out all the bugs.
    4. Yes there are faster...Yes there are better handling.....these bikes do everything well.
    5. Every time I look at my bike it puts a smile on my face
    6. I rode from Victoria BC to Eureka CA and back along the coast...I had a smile wrapped right around my head...there and back!

17. Phuqet

Phuqet New Member

I came over from the "dark" side; my last 2 bikes were Harley's. I chose the VFR because it looks great, and is the best all-around bike I found, and I looked A LOT.

As has been said, there are faster, and better handling, but not a better all around bike.

Look at the details and build quality of the VFR compared to almost everything else, and there is no comparison.

Phuqet

18. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

1. It's a Honda--I like their stuff in general. It's reliable and has a good resale value.

2. I imagine the VFR handles better than the FJR or the Concours... more emphasis on Sport than Touring

3. I like the engine--it's unique, clean, sounds great, and I like the novelty and practicality of VTEC

4. The frame is relatively slender even up front thanks to the design of the engine.

5. Fantastic ABS system

6. Ergonomics really are the best of both worlds

7. I fit great on it. I have tons of room so I know it would work for people much taller than me. However I can still flat foot it at a stoplight.

8. You're asking a VFR enthusiast forum! :)

19. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

Wow, great post! I bought my '04 in the fall of '07 from a guy going through a divorce. It was like showroom new and only had 400 miles on the clock and I picked it up for $6,000! It was a no brainer! I've had numerous CBR's ( 929, 954, '04 1krr, '06 1krr and now an '08 1krr ) but it's the Viffer that sings to my soul!

20. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    that statement in a nut shell describes a vfr. thats why i decided on one as well.:smile: