Air Filters

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by speed, Aug 9, 2008.

1. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    I am thinking about buying a new K&N filter and Well, I wanted to know what type of air filter do you prefer and use in your bike. and how often do you check it to blow it out or change it. I tend to check it often ( i guess im used to heavy equipment ) how and what do you use to clean your filters. where is the best place you have found to buy your filters.

2. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I like my BMC Filter. It has more media than the K&N. I check it every 6 months and clean and re-oil it once a year. If you check the larger online stores you can catch them on sale.

Action

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I've run K&N since they first came out years ago. I have them on several vehicles and like them a lot. Wash them when they need it and oil. If you have a carburated motor you will have to raise the needles one notch and or re-jet. On newer FI motors I don't know if the pcm will compensate enough. You may have to re-map the fuel.

4. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    Why do the needles need to be moved up a notch or re-jeted, is this due to the K&N filter is harder to suck air threw because of the oil ?

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

BMC.

The BMC filter showed better benefits than the K&N when compared back to back on a dynojet dyno with my bike. Remember, theses results were for MY bike, I'm just sharing what I experienced. I'm not trying to piss anybody off here.

The K&N actually underperformed, although by a very small margin, against the stock filter. I only had one pull performed with each type of filter, and no adjustments were made to the PCIII during the comparison. You be the judge. After adjusting the PCIII for the BMC, the difference was clear. You may burn more fuel due to the increase in airflow and subsequent richening of the mixture to compensate for that, but if you're lookin' for hp, my vote goes to BMC. If you're lookin' to save fuel, go with the K&N or stick to the stock filter. This my OPINION.

The benefit of the K&N over the stock filter media is the cost savings you get by being able to clean, re-oil, and reuse the filter. The folks at Honda must have been heavy into the sake when they determined the price of the stock 6th gen filter. The BMC provided a varifiable increase in HP, but also provides the same cost savings as the K&N because it too can be reused.

I bought 2 BMC filter cleaning and re-oiling kits from BMC with the filter, for the maintenance side of things. I have checked the filter twice in 3,000 miles and so far it has not required any maintenance.

6. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I put a K&N on mine last winter and noticed a good bit of difference at low end. There are some hills on the Natchez Trace Parkway I used to downshift for so I'd go up at 4k rpm. After installing the K&N I can easily accelerate up them from 3,500. May have just been luck but I certainly noticed a difference.

7. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

I just put in a K&N filter. From almost all the stuff I have read it seems there is little to no difference in air flow between the aftermarket filters. As for power with the k&n I don't know. I did the filter, Power Commander (non USB)/Cozy map, and 330 ohm 02 block thing at the same time. It does run SWEET all through the rpm range. Vtech as smooth as it can be.

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I had a K&N on my old 4th gen and the bike ran very sweet. When I would check the plugs, they were a most perfect tan color you could ever want on a plug, so I left it alone. It was bone stock.

I went with BMC on my 5th gen - I cant say what part the filter contributed, but the bone stock stall out at 10500rpm is gone, and it just runs to redline now. Sounds like Norcal verified this on the dyno.

MD

9. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Hi all; I just read an article on a filter that I've not heard of before. Its called a Pipercross and seems to be used mostly in Europe for pro and amateur cycle road racing. As advertised it was supposed to out perform the other hi-po air filters.One thing I remember about it was that it was made with some type of recently invented foam.
    Do any of you have any experience with this brand? eddie