Blown Fuse

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Carnage, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Carnage

Carnage New Member

I have an '07 VFR and the last two days the 30 AMP fuse that is next to the battery has blown shutting off the fuel pump. I can not figure out why this is happening. I have not added anything to my bike. My battery died last week and I charged it up this weekend but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

i wonder if that year was covered by the recall, my 03 is getting a new harness as soon as it comes in.

3. nvoges

nvoges New Member

Sounds like you may be experiencing the dreaded R/R failure. Unplug the R/R and start the bike up. If the fuse doesn't blow, you should know where the problem is. You should also be able to look at the wiring and the back of the R/R to see if either/or are burnt etc.

4. SCraig

SCraig New Member

'05 was the last year of the recall. '06 and up models aren't supposed to have any problems and I haven't seen any posts (which doesn't mean that there really aren't any) relating to R/R problems on the late models.

Sounds to me like you've just got a plain old fashioned short somewhere, probably in a circuit that is normally off when the ignition is off (which is why the battery went down overnight).

5. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Thank you for the replies. The bike sat for about 6 days and the battery died. I thought that maybe the lojack was draining it but a wire grounding out could be doing it also correct?

6. jimmbodude225

jimmbodude225 New Member

I have an 2006 Interceptor that has blown that fuse twice within a month as well, although my battery has not died. The short pig-tail wire with the harness clip and the fuse box for the 30amp fuse has discolored due to excessive heat. Not sure if the high heat is normal.Had to order new battery harness. I was told the problem could be the wiring harness for the R/R. I checked the voltage on the R/R, and it checked out okay.

7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Are you aware of the wiring recall for this bike? Any idea if it was done?
    If you are not sure, there should be a stamped mark on your vin tag if it was done at a dealer.

The stock r/r is a problem for this bike over many years. The inefficient heat release of the stock r/r causes the wiring to burn and short out. If your wires are brown or brittle, change the r/r. There are many threads here on which to choose and how to replace it.

Good luck.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I would start with the low jack connections and related wiring first. When looking for a short , aftermarket gadgets are always first suspect on the list in a shorted circuit. If the main is blowing the short is most not going to be difficult to locate.