VFR vs Yamaha YZF

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by emon07, Sep 10, 2008.

1. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently purchased a 2003 Yamaha YZF 600R for short runs and trackdays (bike has slightly over 9k miles). I am the third owner of the Yamaha YZF 600R and the bike was still all stock with the exception of the front signal lights. I had the brakes done, carbs synced, clutch adjusted, and then added a Yoshi pipe and had a stage 1 jet kit installed. I also had Avon Storm ST tyres put on the bike. The Yamaha YZF 600R is a GREAT bike, it is very comfortable, has a 5 gallon tank, handles like a dream and is comfortable riding 2 up. I ride with a group/crew and most of the guys have GSXRs, CBRs and R1s - I have problems keeping up with them on the VFR, but I can keep up and sometimes pass someone with the Yamaha YZF 600R. I had one of my crew members ride my VFR while I rode the Yamaha YZF 600R and I kicked his butt badly. I got on the VFR on the trip back and my friend rode my Yamaha YZF 600R. My friend kicked my butt with the Yamaha YZF 600R, but not as bad as I did him. The main differences I see with the two bikes is that the Yamaha YZF has a smaller wheelbase, is carburated, does not have a single sided swingarm, and is lighter. I think I ride the Yamaha YXF 600R better because of the smaller wheelbase - but damn the Yamaha handles so well. I love my VFR and was going to trade up to a newer model even though it has the VTech engine. I gotta admit after riding the Yamaha YZF 600R I gotta check the new re-designed 2009 Yamaha R1. I may have to switch to the R1, but the VFR is still the best sport touring bike in my opinion. I know the R1 is nowhere near as comfortable as a VFR, but with some adjustments it should not be so bad. I still think Honda has better quality control and a better aftermarket, but the V4 engine is an expensive, painful experience.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Is that the previous gen R6?

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Nope - the YZF600 is R6-lite. Kind of like a Kawi ZZR-600 is a Z6-R lite, and a Z6-R is a 636RR lite...

And what do you mean exactly by: "...the V4 engine is an expensive, painful experience."

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Not everyone is gonna love our babies.

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Yeah, does it have that lovely V-4 growl and gear-driven cam symphony of music???

Sounds like you may have found a new partner...I wish you the best of luck senor!

6. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    it's hard to really compare the two. IMO the yamaha is a sportbike, not a sport tourer. i will agree though the yzf is the faster one. i had a 92 yamaha fzr 600 which was kind of the bike below the yzf i guess. that bike hauled ass, it would still take out most vfr's today. it seems yamaha is definately selling bikes with the " it goes really fast" marketing. if you read about the new r6 it was built more for the track than the street. i would say if i can save the money i'll probably get an r6 eventually for fun. the vfr is a great bike for what it does, but i miss my yamaha. i dont know how the yzf is but i remember on the fzr when the tach hit about 7,000 you better be holding on tight, it was like someone just hit the boost button, it was a definate screamer and loved to rev much easier than the vfr. but i'm happy with the vfr for now, it gets up to speed in a pretty quick time and i can't think of too many normal production cars it can't take on.

7. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey fellas I love my 2k VFR, but the V4 has been painful experience (not the end of the world) - and I still do not want to sell it. The heat issues, the rectifier/battery issues to mention a few, all this riding season my bike has been overheating, cutting off and idiling improperly, Fi light comes on intermittently just to mention a few issues. I have had the bike at three different Honda Dealers and the fourth place I tried did not even want to try fixing the VFR after hearing the story (painful as far as time invested and this is costing me money and time off work - painful for me - and I still cannot ride my baby). Support for the VFR is not great from Honda (at least not in my area in NYC so far to my knowledge - maybe I have just been to all the wrong places) - I am disappointed, the VFR is a state of art bike in my opinion. The Yamaha YZF 600R is just as comfortable as the VFR so it could be called a sportbike or whatever, but it is still a comfortable bike that is great for touring and riding two up. I am not interested any bike for speed purposes (I go to the track if I want to rip it up and I have MC members who will let me use their R1, ZX10 or GSXR), and comparing a V4 to an inline 4 race type engine is not what I am doing or saying (apples and oranges). The maint. cost for the Yamaha YZF 600R is much less than the VFR due to the avaialbility of mechanics who know the bike and can fix things I cannot. That means I will be riding the bike more than it is siting up or in the shop. While the VFR is a more refined bike with full features. The YZF 600R is an upgrade from the FZR and the R6 is a hyped up sibling developed from the YZF 600R. The Yamaha R6 is a track bike in my opinion and I chose the YZF over the R6 for that reason. The YZF 600R is typlical of Yamaha in the fact that it handles GREAT!!! So in the end I have a bike that I can keep on the road, that is very affordable and gets great gas mileage (5 gal tank), great for touring, great for riding two up, handles like a dream and is FUN!!! Now on the downside the YZF 600R is a carburated bike (has four carburators), lousy single headlight (I put in a Silverstar Orsum, but then changed it to a PIAA Super Plasma H4), no fuel gage or clock, lousy aftermarket support and no centerstand. Also, it is just my opinion or preference, but I am more comfortable with Honda quality control and parts availability compared to Yamaha - it is just that the bike handles so well and is comfortable and fun. I am still in love with my VFR but have been having problems enjoying the bike. As I mentioned in my initial post - I wanted to upgrade to a 6th Gen VFR, but have been unable to do so because of the issues and expense I have suffered with my 5th Gen VFR.

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Sounds like you need a real competent mechanic.

MD

9. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    oh, so i assume we are talking about one of these. the "thundercat"?

Attached Files:

10. Richard Thompson

Map
    in which case, dont forget about big brother, the Thunder Ace-YZF 1000.
    i know a guy with one of these, hes had it for nearly ten years now, and has about 80,000ks on it. its still going strong. the last of the true, sport, all rounders before yamaha went "R" crazy. probably hard to find one now but worth a look.

Attached Files:

11. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Mello Dude you hit the nail on the head as usual. I do not own or drive a car and depend on my bikes for transportation. I do want a second bike more for local stuff and commuting to work. I would love to have the VFR working properly for my weekend getaways and long rides. The VFR belongs on open road. I am happy as hell with the Thundercat YZF600R because it is my sole transportation and it is really fun. I am in NYC and have spoken to a shop up in Westchester and if that does not work out, then I am planning on taking the VFR to either Va or North Carolina to have it checked there - I have family in Va. and NC. If things work out I am not going to upgrade the VFR (can't afford it now), and will keep my 5th Gen and try to get it running right. I am gonna keep my upgrade options open because bikes like the R1, ZX10 and GSXR1000 have been redesigned with body position in mind and while all the aforementioned bikes are fast track bikes they have gotten more comfortable for longer rides. I do not need or want a winter project, if getting the VFR fixed is expensive then I will just sell the VFR to a salvage yard and take the money to use towards a R1, ZX10, CBR 600rr/1000, GSXR 1000 or an R6

12. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Mr Richard Thompson, I did consider the Thunderace (YZF 1000; bike that preceded the R1) and the YZF 750 somewhat rare. Both the Thunderace and the YZF750 have some issues that can be resolved, but nothing I want to inherit. As I said in previous posts I am not interested in getting a race bike to run on the streets.

13. Richard Thompson

Map
    Hmmm..i think the thunderace is probably more sport tourer than sport bike.
    closer to the blackbird & later D model ZZR's as contemporaries.
    (these 2 worth a look also)
    There is no doubt that the 600 will outhandle it in the twisties tho, but for 2 up & longer distance the thou has a comfort edge.
    the YZF 750 is a differant kettle of fish, as you pointed out this is a full sports bike, being as it was at the time, a homologation special to allow inclusion in the world superbike series.
    sorry to hear your Gen 5 is playing up anyway, hope it can be sorted so you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

14. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

Correction my kiwi amigo.....it is Thunder ASS....:ass: That's what a friend of mine calls his at least....haha

15. Richard Thompson

Map
    hahahahah.....and thats a whole lotta ass!:bootyshake2:

16. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

I will say in terms of expensive experience with the vfr, I with my 04 (6 gen) have not had any issues. It has been super reliable. The only time I see a shop, is for a valve service or tires. As for the 600, those lighter, more agile bikes are a ton of fun. I had an '06 CB600F from Honda. It was carburated and nimble. I was very comfortable on the bike by myself or two up riding. If I still had it, it would be my weekend "fun" and the vfr would be more for the commuting and trips. But I enjoy the vfr and hadles great, no matter what I throw at it. It even keeps up will with my buddies '03 gsxr600 and '07 r6.

17. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Very reasoned thread Emon, good to see the Thundercat is suppling your motorcycling fix until your VFR is repaired or if you've given up have you thought to break the VFR up for ebay spares and find a low mileage well maintained Gen 5 as a replacment as seems to happen whenever one gets thrown down ?

18. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hondawolf you have a 6th gen not a 5th gen. The 5th gen can be a prob with the high heat temp the bike runs at, rectifier/battery/wire harness issues, crappy stock rear shock and an expensive valve adjustment. Still love the bike, but it is what it is. Also, wait another 3 - 4 years and see if there is good or bad support for your VTEC VFR bike at the Dealer. The other thing is I go out of town a lot on weekend getaways and someitmes do one day visists out of State. My guys on GSXRs and ZX10s and R1s sweep turns at 140mph. I gotta work the VFR a little harder than I want to to keep these guys in sight. I can keep up fine with the Thundercat YZF600R (might be that inline 4 and the Yamaha suspension)

19. Buckwheat

Buckwheat New Member

Hmmm....your idea of speed & my idea of speed must be on 2 totally different levels.
    Anyway, I wish you luck on getting the VFR straightened out and have fun on the YZF.

20. whitesmokeyzf

whitesmokeyzf New Member

I own both bikes and the Yamaha is a better track bike. It was yamaha's main squeez for the track befor the R6, great bike but the bike screams cheap. Don't get me wrong they are a quality bike and in my oppinion made well but don't feel as solid and refined as my VFR. It is a perfect track bike for the novice easy and inexspensive to get parts for. my 2 cents.