Fork Swap on Gen 6

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by MileHighInterceptor, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MileHighInterceptor

MileHighInterceptor New Member

Hey all,

Now that winter is approaching here in Colorado, all of those "I'd like to do that to the bike someday" ideas are starting to resurface. After I wrecked the bike back in March I had thought about swapping out the front end for that of a slant four rice rocket but did not do so to save time and money. After putting about five thousand miles on it since then, I am very curious to know how much different the bike would handle and feel with inverted forks and radial mounted brakes.

I have seen posts on VFRD about a few of these swaps being done, typically with Honda parts (600RR, 929, 954, 1000RR, RC51) and on two separate posts with R1 and GSX-R forks (which I would most likely do for the quality and gold look). I am wondering if there is anyone on our forum who has done this/doing it now/planning on doing it?

I have hear mixed things about using 929/954 parts; hard to find, expensive, don't feel as good as others. In my mind, being that GSX-R's make up the majority of the 600/750/1000cc slant fours on the market, I would imagine the parts being more readily available and less expensive. Ball park I am guessing that the following parts would be needed:

1. forks
    2. upper triple clamp
    3. lower triple clamp/steering stem (to include the bearings/bushings)
    4. front and rear calipers
    5. front and rear master brake cylinders
    6. rotors?
    7. axle?
    8. bushings for front wheel (to use stock honda)?
    9. GSX-R wheel?

Any help in this matter would greatly be appreciated. If you live in the Denver area and would like to do this mod together to both or one bike, let me know.

Thanks!