Need Longer Throttle Cables for 5th Gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Misspent Youth, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth New Member

United States
    I mounted a LSL Spiegler kit I bought "used" and the stock throttle cable(s) need to be a little longer (not sure how much - with max-available slack, engine speeds up a bit upon taking off on right-hand turns, which could be a problem, but it only happens during the last couple inches of bar travel). I'm guessing about an inch would be enough. I've re-routed the stockers to the extent possible.

I know Convertibars sells a longer set for $54, but it doesn't say how much longer than stock they are.

I'd like to stay with some Honda cable, if possible. I've heard the Vtec cables are longer, but don't know how much. They've got a different part number.

Anyway, thanks for any guidance as to slightly longer cables that will work on my bike.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map

A guy over on VFRD went to handle bars and used the convertibar cables and said they worked out ok. - you could call them up and ask too.

Good luck,
    MD

3. Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth New Member

United States
    Yep! The Convertibar cables are 2" longer and I ordered a set. $54 plus ship. Stock cables are $21 per, so that's not too bad. Thx

4. BASFjon

BASFjon New Member

I think you can build these for much less! I mean this is a cable in a housing - just like a bicycles right! I have the Spiegler Kit also, and I just routed mine in front of the Steering stem, and in front of the tank for the meantime. But I plan on getting a crimper and some barrels and just heading down to the cycle shop in town. But honestly - I don't remember the cable ends being any different than a bicycles brake cables, and if they are - I am guessing they can be switched over. Will find out here soon and post findings.