How do you fix a sticky tachometer?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Artery, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Artery

Artery New Member

This is a problem I've been getting more and more as it gets colder and colder.... (I'm based in the US side of the VFRWorld) the tach will stick occasionally. It happens more often on cold days, or when I haven't been riding the bike much. Is there any way to fix it? If there isn't its not the end of the world, its just annoying. While I was at it I thought about doing the LED conversion like Sebspeed, I'm waiting to see how his turns out.

If to fix the tachometer I've got to really tear open the instrument panel and risk water entry or spend a ton of money to fix a mere inconvenience I'll probably pass.

Anyone had this problem before? I coudln't find anything on the search.

2. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    What's sticking, exactly? The needle on the tachometer?

Does your bike have a tach cable? If so, the first thing I'd do would be to rip that thing off and either replace it with new or pull the cable from the sheath and clean the bejesus out of it and re-install with fresh cable lube.

3. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Clean the electrical connections and grease with dielectric grease. Usually the tach is fed off of the yellow wire from the coils.

May be able to lube the internals of the tach by spraying inside the back with WD-40.

4. Artery

Artery New Member

on startup the tach stays at zero. After a few minutes it will move and stay at the night rpm reached. Eventually thetach functions properly. The symptoms worsen if I haven't ridden her a while Or it's very cold.

I'll try both your suggestions. It's too cold inthe garage to work right now..