VFR Fuel Economy

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Howdy all. I am currently researching options for my next bike purchase. I am currently looking for something that is very sporty, but can be used for longer trips too. The VFR fits that tag very well. One of the big decision makers in this search is fuel economy. I don't want the v-tec version, and I think that the 98-01 version looks the best. So, what kind of fuel economy can I expect? Thanks for your input. In case you are wondering, I am also considering the Suzuki SV650S and Buell XB9R and XB9S, and I currently own a 1983 Honda CB550sc Nighthawk.

Josh D.
    Cedar Rapids, IA

2. jandj_davis

jandj_davis New Member

Also, I was wondering what kind of maintenance is required, other than oil/air cleaner/chain/tires kind of stuff. Are there valve adjustments needed? If so, how many miles apart are they? Thanks

3. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    I consistantly get 210-220 mile for 4.5 gallon fill-up.. on my 2000 VFR800.
    The worst I got was 170 mile for 4.6 gallon, best was 256 for 4.96 gallon.
    VFR800 has been one of the easiest bike when it comes to maintenance, the regular stuff like oil/filter change, chain lube are easily done. Brake fluid change could be challenging, but as long as you pay attention, they are doable on your own. Valve adjustment intervauls are 16,000 mile apart. Keep on attantinon of the Regulator and rectifier, think that's the only weakness for 98-01 VFR800.

4. fuldog1

fuldog1 New Member

I average around 45 mpg. on my '98 VFR

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Low to mid 40's typical, but a great deal of that includes rigorous throttle application. I waited until 19k to check valves on my 98, even at that there were no adjustments required.

6. Jake

Jake New Member

I got low-to-mid forties stock.

Now that I've installed a PCII, Micron slip-on, and went down a tooth on the front sprocket, I only get high thirties... However, the bike is quicker now and there's no more annoying snatchiness when transitioning from idle to acceleration.

HTH,
    Jake

7. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    When commuting I usually get 370-390 km from a full tank.

On extended runs I easily get 400km from a tank.

I have a 2000 model, only mod is a low mount Staintune.

8. easyrdr

easyrdr New Member

Map
    I just purchased a 98 with 11.5k on it. So far it averages 40mpg on commutes of 200 miles per week, 160 miles @ 80 mph average.

9. TigerRider2000

TigerRider2000 New Member

Map
    I have a '00 with a Staintune and PCII, both installed at a Dynotune center. I consistantly get around 45-48 mpg with it.

I think you would be very happy with a Viffer. It will be more comfortable for longer trips than any of the other bikes you are looking into, and the performance is great. The V4 is hard to beat for a consistant powerband from top to bottom. Very linear and smooth. And they handle like a dream, being very predictable.

10. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I normally get about 200-250 miles to a tank. Which ranges from 37-46 MPG. During my trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway/The Dragon/Cherohalla Skyway, I got about 38 MPG and I was flogging the shit out of the bike the entire time. You must go to this area and experience it for yourself...

KC-10 FE out...

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    :) I'd like to chime in. I have a 97 I think it's the best bang for the buck IMO I see in the forties never under or over, seen 49mpg and seen 41mpg depnds on the throttle hand. Mainetence is pretty straight forwared, oil change a snap vales every 16K the rest is normal motorcycle stuff. other than the bad RR once in a while, seems it's a trait of all VFRs I haven't had it show up yet, sssh don't let anyone know other than that you can't go wrong wiith any VFR.

12. stephanon2whls

stephanon2whls New Member

United States
    Map

I also have the same basic results and comments...

13. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a '96 VFR that I have got from 40 to 50 mpg, depending on where/how I ride.

14. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    So, since everyone in this long dead thread is getting 40+, I either weigh too damned much or I need to ride like a grandmother. My 05 has only ever gotten 41 mpg twice in the three years I have owned it and both times were with a strong tailwind, no kidding! I am 6' 2" tall, so maybe my shoulders are working like a parachute, perhaps I could lay on the tank more. Even when I rode 95% freeways, I got 38 mpg, but it's usually 33-34. 34K miles, no valves done, PAIR removed, snorkel removed and baffles cut on exhaust, but otherwise bone stock.

My Triumph Sprint RS I had got 46-48 every day and even railing on it in the canyons I would get 42. My last ride on my VFR was canyons, but due to traffic and dirt on the roads from the recent heavy rains, we went pretty slow, still 33mpg. I give up. Maybe I should just by a Ninja 250...

15. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I do love your experiment of lying on the tank. That is the first I ever thought that our size and shape could affect mileage. For sure. Can you lie down for an entire tank? Personally I would have to lie on ice for a week after that.

Because you chimed in I thought I would supply this:

*My thermostat is stuck so I am running cool for the first 40 minutes or so.
    *The starter valves need tuning (got the shakes at partial throttle.)
    *Front sprocket is down one tooth although the overall gearing does differ from your bike to mine, so that is not a direct comparison.
    * I ride, I don't know, I guess 50/50 freeway vs. stoplight
    *PCV and it is very rich in the low RPM / high throttle area, which I seem to be at quite a bit.

My result is a rock solid 32 mpg. I don't think you should be near this number. I suspect that both running cool and the vacuum being wrong are factors. I will try to remember to report back after the fixes this spring.

Have you tested the brakes for binding? Spark plugs fresh? If the valves are out that could be a cause but there are many more likely and easy to test items before going there.

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Starter valves synced, plus less than 10k, Denso factory spec plugs. Brake pads replaced about a year ago, caliper pistons cleaned. Air filter clean, bike runs normal temps. Valves may need checked, 34k miles and I've ridden pretty hard this past year. May be due for an oil change, but I'm pretty on top of that so it's not ridiculously old. It may just be my weight and height working against me.

I would be very happy with 40 mpg. This whole 150-160 miles per tank sucks.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe.. This is one of the things I'll be interested to know once I can get a decent ride in, so far nothing has told me it's lousy. Since my Power Commander install is a ways off I'm going to do a check before and after and see how it stacks up. I do recall all those I rode with on the same roads as a group, my 4th was doing way better, Weird, the 800 is actually only 32cc bigger yet there's something going on. I'd like to believe that the move to FI would have made this better Hmmm???

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Suzuki 50 would do better with a 4 speed.:pig:

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Zzzzzzzzzz