Seat Comparo Stock v. Corbin v. Sargent

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by reg71, Jan 29, 2009.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Stock v. Corbin v. Sargent Seat on 5th Gen VFR
    [​IMG]

“What is the best aftermarket seat?” We get this question quite a bit. Maybe not as much as which oil or which tire should I use, but enough that I thought a comparison was in order. With the loan of SLOav8r’s recently acquired Corbin seat I was able to conduct a little research. I have at least 1000 miles on the various seats which I felt was enough to make my comparisons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 - Stock seat

Weight - About 4 lbs on my $8 bathroom scale which is calibrated by NASA so it must be good. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Fit - Pretty good as it was designed for this bike and you’d be pretty dumb to make a bike with a bad fitting seat if you were Honda.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finish - This is pretty subjective but I thought the stock seat looked a little plain. The stock seat cover also appears a little flimsy to me. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Comfort - Well, there’s the caveat isn’t it? The stock seat while more comfortable than your average bullet bike seat can leave a little to be desired on trips farther than 75 miles. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tech support - N/A

Total - 15 stars

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2- Corbin Gunfighter

Weight - about 11 lbs making this easily the biggest Bertha in this test, add at least another 3 lbs if you plan on attaching the backrest. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Fit - It fit pretty good but was slightly harder to get to latch than the stock seat. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Finish - No doubt about it, the Corbin is a mighty fine looking saddle and looks right at home on the VFR. The leather of the Corbin brings to mind a riding saddle and looks very sturdy. Unlike the Sargent two piece, the cowl will fit over the Corbin's pillion. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Comfort - This seat is leaps and bounds better than the stock seat and even though it was not specially fitted at the plant as I have heard some people say, it still seemed to fit my arse well. It is the firmest of the three and takes a while to break in according to member reviews. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tech support - I did not use them, but there have been reports here on the site that they are less than helpful at times. Again, this is hearsay as I have no dealings with them at all. No rating.

Total - 17 stars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 - Sargent WorldSport

Weight - 7 lbs putting it squarely in the middle of the pack. An important note is that this weight include both the front and the pillion which are two piece on my particular model. 4/5 stars[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Fit - Fits as easily as stock and the added option of leaving off the pillion adds storage possibilities under the cowl. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finish - Good. I like the look of this seat as well as any I have seen, but it does not look quite as rugged as the leather covered Corbin. An important thing to note: the cowl will not fit over the pillion seat. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Comfort - Well, again it is leaps and bounds better than stock. I don’t hesitate to ride this seat for hundreds of miles in a day. This seat is firmer than the stock seat but not as firm as the corbin. I have had reports that over time the foam wears down but after 30000 miles from me and at least 20000 from the prior owner it still seems to be doing well to me.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tech Support - N/A again as I have never had occasion to use them.

Total - 18 stars

Summary

Both the Sargent and Corbin are superior to the stock seat in my opinion based mostly on their comfort level and the fact that they appear to be made of better material. I might give a slight edge to the Corbin just based on the firmness of it. Either one is a good choice. Here are the most important points to consider: 1. Do I need a backrest, 2. Is weight the most important thing to me, 3. Do I need extra storage, 4. How much?

If you need a backrest, then there is only one choice, the Corbin. If weight is the most important consideration, you’ll either want to stay with stock or get the Sargent. If you need a little extra storage under the cowl and don’t often have a pillion rider then the two-piece WorldSport is your only choice.
    When it came down to a trip I was taking of about 700 miles recently and I had all three available to me, I chose the Sargent. I am comfortable with it and have logged greater than 30000 miles on it and it’s still wearing well. That being said, I would not hesitate to buy a Corbin if a better deal on one cropped up and I was still riding a stock seat.

**EDIT** One thing I neglected to mention originally is that the Sargent with Griptex keeps you more firmly in the saddle than the Corbin. This can be a plus or a minus. When I am in the twisties getting off the seat, the Corbin outperforms the Sargent. I have to raise my butt up just a little more on the Sargent due to it being slightly softer and the griptex covering it has. The stock seat lets you slide all over the place if you are wearing leathers, it's what I used on my track day.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    I love my sargent. Haven't sat on a corbin, but they're are pretty expensive. The stock seat was very uncomfortable for me. I would slide up against the tank all the time and my but would hurt 30 miles into the ride. I can last a long time on the sargent. I don't slide up and it allows for a lot of movement.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Sargent with backrest/luggage rack on my '99 and love it, the stock seat would put my leg to sleep within 50 miles. I had a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady for my FJ1200 and didn't like it at all: very heavy, the fiberglass pan broke, the seating for the passenger was very uncomfortable as the seat was very rounded rather than flat, and the seating position for the pilot was too far from the handlebars for me. Of course that wasn't a VFR and the Corbin for those may be very nice.

4. CdnVffer

CdnVffer New Member

Hey guys good to hear all this because I've just gotten in touch with another VFRw member. I'm purchasing his Sargent Seat that has only been used twice his reason for selling is he has sold his Vffer, but I believe he still owns another!

A quick question though guys, do you guys have the quick release pins to use the rear cowl as a storage area. If so having these pins how have they worked out for you, I'm thinking of getting them but would like some input before I do purchase them!

Cheers...

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Good job Reg -Guess it really comes down to whether you have a big ass or not? :wink:

MD

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I forgot to mention that in my comparo. The Sargent keeps me in place much better than the Corbin but that can be a bother when you are riding in twisties. It's not much but I did notice the difference.

Oh, heck. I didn't realize a backrest was an option with the Sargent. I'll have to re-edit my post.

you won't regret the seat. Mine has held up very well for the past few years and I ride quite a bit. I don't use the quick release but I have heard that you have to drill out the screws to use them. A nickel will loosen the stock frankenbolt and that's quick enough...

Not sure on the foam issue. Mine seems to be holding up ok but it's not quite as firm as the Corbin so maybe that's true. Guess we'll see in a few more years.

7. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Good write up. I've been leaning towards the Sargent and now my mind is made up. Being able to see the pics all together, IMO the Sargent is the best looking of them.

8. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the writeup, like Y2kviffer I was leaning towards the sargent and this confirms it for me. I really love how the sargent seat breaks down in two for easy storage. Sometimes I don't like having to lug a tank bag around.

9. CdnVffer

CdnVffer New Member

Thanks for taking the time to put the pictures together this summer will be very comfortable!

Cheers....

10. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    I am looking at replacing my stock seat and like the sargent over the corbin but I cannot see on their website that they make a backrest for a '98VFR. Am I missing it somewhere? I ride with my son on back and if I am going to shell out cash for a new seat, it would be nice to have a backrest for him to feel more secure on back.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I sent a message over to Sargent to see if I can get to the bottom of this. It seems to be out there, but finding it is more difficult than it should be.

12. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    thanks for the write-up.
    My $.02

I had a 97 Viffer & bought the Corbin with the "wifestop" in back.
    My seat was ROCK HARD.
    like they 4got the padding part.
    awful.

wife still wouldn't / doesn't ride, so i put the stock seat back on my 97 & that worked well for me. I did like the backrest for cargo.

when I got my Gen 5, the stock seat was not comfortable - seemed.....um.....flimsy...to me. very light - didn't weigh it, but 4 # sounds about right (NASA :cool::thumbsup:). I was never comfortable on that seat...at 200 miles.
    I went with Sargent & can't say enough good about the seat. 460 miles is a good day's ride for me & my right wrist gives out waaayyyyy B4 my butt.
    I need a throttlemiester.

Point of order: Sargent USED to sell a backrest for this seat, but I don't think they still do. they do offer backrests for some BMW's & ST1300's.
    but pffffftttt.....why would anybody want one of those?

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Well, here's the reply from Sargent:

---------------quote----------------
    Reggie
    Thanks for your question. The member who told you that he has a Sargent Backrest for his 98-01 VFR is most likely correct. We did offer a backrest, but it has been discontinued.
    Riders may be able to find a used one from someone who bought one originally. But, I don't think they will be easy to find, I doubt we sold many of them.

BTW, I read your comparison and I was glad to see that you rode so many miles on the Sargent World Sport seat.
    Rudi
    -------------------- quote-------------

I'll go back and edit the comparo to reflect this info.

14. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, Reg, for following up on this and the thread as a whole!

Very much appreciated!

Kevin

15. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I had (past tense) a Corbin on the Hawk GT. Both the Wife & I hated it. We sent the stock seat to Sargent for a complete redo & couldn't be happier.

I've ridden on all 3 on a 5th Gen VFR. Sargent wins hands down as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, this is just what it seems, one man's opinion. I've got over 7 years on my Sargent & I should send them Christmas cards since I like it so much. Excpet for a minor discoloration, which was entirely my fault, you can't tell my seat is over 7 years old. NEVER, EVER rest a bottle of StaBil on you seat, EVER.

For those that would like to see an additional comparison:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/11257-using-gas-tank-support.html

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

16. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I just bought a sargent seat for my '99 VFR and I got to say the difference is night and day compared to the stock seat. Yesterday after a 4 hour romp through the mountains my butt wasn't even the tiniest bit sore. Not only that I like how the material and shape keeps me planted on the bike. The problem with my height and weight (6'1'and 189 pounds) is that on the stock seat my body wants to slide off the bike when I'm leaning through a fast curve.

Oh, and the fact it comes in two pieces is icing on the cake; now I can store my rain suit in the pillion seat cover. Before that when commuting to work I could only use my tank bag and it can barely store a rain suit, leaving no more room for lunch. I hate having to decide whether to eat or stay dry.

A great place for buying the seat is at sandhillpowersports.com They have the best prices I've seen at $327 compared to most stores charging at least $400.

17. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for the review i have the stock and a corbin for mine will be looking at a sergant as well do love the corbin through

18. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    This has been an informative thread, it sounds like I should have gotten the sargent seat, I remember when vfrchick had her problems with the corbin. I found a local former vfr owner selling a corbin 5th gen last fall, price was cheap enough so I got it. Now I kind of wonder if I should have just waited and put that money towards a sargent. Oh well, maybe I relist it on craigslist someday....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't go that far. If my bike had come with the Corbin or if I had stock, I'd ride whichever I found the deal on. As a matter of fact, the seat the SLOav8r let me borrow would have been mine if I didn't already have the Sargent. As far a long term wear, the Corbin seems sturdier so it may hold up better over a period of several year. Give your seat a while and see how your butt likes it. You can always sell an aftermarket seat pretty easily if it doesn't suit you.

20. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the photo compare, KC-10, on that link to the other seat thread. What a difference. I have issues with my right hip and after about 20 miles, it gets stiff and soar and starts nailing a nerve up and down my leg and my leg either starts throbbing real bad (from my hip to my ankle) or it goes numb. I also slide way forward against the tank, and sliding back helps my hip/leg to a degree. I was thinking maybe Heli-bars would help my riding position to help with this, but now I am thinking a new seat may be the first thing to invest in. I do know that when I slide back in the seat, I feel I have to reach a little bit for the bars (at 5'10" I have rather short arms), so the combo of the new seat AND heli-bars may be the route. My other option is to wait for a hip replacement...when are those bionic hips coming out???

Thanks, all for the great info.

Kevin