Need help with setting time on my bike 700F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by gunnarf06, Feb 8, 2009.

1. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Hey guys

I am setting the time on the camshafts and it is half a tooth off.The chains tensioner are new but the chains is original.Any ideas or do I not need to worry does the chain stretch when engine is started.

Best regards

Gunnar

2. cirque'85-700f

cirque'85-700f New Member

Hey there,

So before I started my total tear down I removed my cam shafts to check the cam lobes for wear and when I reinstalled them I also found that the cam chain on the rear cylinder head was a half link off. I went ahead and put it back together and the bike ran with no effect to the timing.

I am not sure if this helps but maybe there are others that have run into the same thing that have a better answer.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Timing chain

I would dismiss nothing and look at all related parts very closely. I know its a pain but the tensioners and cam chains have been the death of many of these engines.I have owned many of these bikes and my first bike was an 84 but they were not the most durable in this department. I would pull the tensioners and inspect the chains and guides closely and look at every link for signs of damage or wear.If you lose a chain it will be a very ugly thing. About the only positive thing I can add is if you did not mark it yourself (which I highly suggest )the marks were not all that great and some were very confusing with multiple markings.I hope I didn't worry you to much but the parts for these stopped growing on trees a long time ago.

4. risoto

risoto New Member

You should get some slotted cam gears and degree all four cams for maximum smoothness.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    timing

I would rather have shotgun for lunch.

6. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

+1 on that! Just make sure you have plenty of time and sanity, cause you'll need both!:crazy:

You can also tune where the power comes in. I tried a few settings and used my butt dyno to pick the best one. Not the easiest task, but worth it if you have intake and exhaust mods as well.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I'm assuming that the tensioners are in the tension position? Do you know how to degree a cam using a degree wheel and dial indicator?
    I would put the cams in like the book instructs. Then use a degree wheel to find out where they really are in position with the crank. How many miles on the motor and how long was it run with loose tensioners?

Just thought of something else. Have you rotated the motor over several full revolutions then checked the cams?

8. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Hey

Yeaahhh and still there is a slack.The tensioner are new and I don´t know for how long the bike has run with a loose chain.But the bike is driven 26.000 miles.

Best regards

Gunnar

9. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Is there any way

Hey

Is there any way to take camchain apart and put back toghether
    Or are I just crazy to be thinking that.

Best regards

Gunnar

10. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

11. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Hey

Yeabbs I have taking the pin and turned the engine.And still it misses half a tooth.Can I buy new chain witch is put together I don´t feel like taking the whole engine apart again.

Best regards

Gunnar

12. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Not to my knowledge. You really wouldn't want to do that. I'd start it and see how it idles and rev's. Just because a cam is advanced or retarded a tad may not be a bad thing. Advance of intake creates more dynamic compression, tad more torque lower rpm. Retarding intake moves hp band up the rpm scale. Exhaust is similar. You may not even notice a difference, it may be so small. Only a dyno or some strip runs may tell. Run it see what it does as long as the cam chain rattle is gone.

13. risoto

risoto New Member

Yeah you can break the cam chains and replace them without cracking the cases. Cam chains and master links are on ebay cheapest I have seen is parts n more $80 each.

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    good idea

Good call. I would not have imagined you could still get them new.

15. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Can I grind

Hey guys

I have found master links for the time chain but I think that I need to buy a new one from bikebandit.com and grind the pins beat them out and take the chain thruw and putting her back together with the master link.Am I dreaming or is this possible.Because I can´t find a chain witch has been splitted.

Best regards

Gunnar

16. risoto

risoto New Member

Yeah that's what you have to do, buy endless loop chains and break them to fit over the crank. You can also trying Z1 enterprises, old bike barn or parts and more online for less expensive chains. Never thought of breaking a chain by grinding and hammering but it is less expensive that buying a cam chain breaker.

17. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Thanks to you all

Hey guys

I just wanted to say thanks to you all for your help.Thanks to you all I can ride my bike again.

Best regards

Gunnar