Honda Reliability - Warranty Issues

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by stewartj239, Feb 13, 2009.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I think that part of the reason that most us own our VFRs is due to the fact that Honda has a great track record for reliability and longevity. However, our bikes do have a warranty for those rare occasion(s) that you might need it.

One month after taking delivery of my '07 RWB, I found a puddle of gas/oil from the rear shock all over the floor of my garage. I promptly took it back to the dealer and it was replaced within a few days.

I've owned many new Hondas in my lifetime and this was the first warranty claim that I've ever had. Has anybody else ever had a warranty claim on their VFR / Interceptor (from any generation) and how well was it handled by your dealer?

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    warranty

After 24 years of Honda's I had my first warranty issue and it was weak. Posted the problem and I must tell you I was very let down. Look up the post, and is still not fixed.I have hope.

3. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

One of the reasons I went back to a Honda was the warranty and the reputation. I had an 02 nighthawk, and a little spot on the chrome exhaust on one pipe had a distortion in it, like something was under the chrome. I knew it would most likely come off at some point in the bike's history. I took it back to the dealer, and there was a new pipe installed two days later, no issues. The main reason I got rid of my M109R was the production problems that many people were having and the way Suzuki dealt with many customer. The first thing they did was to deny there were any production issues with the bike, and then deny the warranty, or tell the customer he had been racing the bike or dragging with it. There was a particular problem with the clutch hub nut backing off that caused you to loose the clutch, but you still had the sensation that the clutch was working. Of course when you downshifted with that big motor, it locked up the back wheel. On a wet road this could have been fatal. Many bikes had this issue. There was an additional problem on many bikes, mine included, where they had assembled the driveshaft and u joint without any grease, even though the manual specified a moly grease. I asked Suzuki to do something about it. They responded that they would only honor the hub nut issue if it occurred. Obviously they didn't care about law suits. They would not honor pulling the drive shaft apart to look, unless there was no grease in it. If there was, they wouldn't pay for the inspection. I pulled mine apart, replaced the seal, all at my own expense, and yes, there was no grease on the splines, front or rear. That's why I got rid of my 5th Suzuki. I know there are always challenges with warranties, but I really believe that the Honda warranty is much better. The quality is miles ahead of Suzuki. So far my VFR is running great. There's a bit of raggedness in the EFI around 4400 rpm on acceleration, but it's not a major issue and maybe someone else has experienced it?

Cheers
    John.

4. madtube

madtube New Member

Currently Atlantic City, NJ former Tampa Bay rider
    Out of the five bikes I have owned, (six if you count the Triumph I had for a day), four were Honda's. Two of those were VFR's. And through all that, I have had one warranty claim. Honda's are the most reliable motorcycles I have ever owned. That is why when I have to buy another bike, it will absolutely be a Honda. Probably another VFR.

5. WheeeFR

WheeeFR New Member

Map
    Never had a warranty claim on any of the Hondas I've owned.....but then I've never had one that had an existing warranty....LOL!

I continue to own Hondas because they rarely breakdown. I bought my latest '94 VFR because when I first rode it, everything was square and I needed nothing further than that. I do my own work and usually have very little of that to do when owning a Honda. Maybe just lucky (if I believed in luck, which I don't). Maybe I should be in their PR department, eh?

Keep up your maintenance, don't abuse the machine, and you'll have many carefree miles of enjoyment with a Honda.

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    yes

I feel the same way. I have been shocked and dumbfounded by the way this has gone down. I have it dialed in but for a recognized broblem it is VERY disheartening and alarming that such a simple problem took so much if any effort.

7. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

I wonder, is it Honda? Or is it your dealer? You might do better, if you have not already, writing to Honda and pleading your case.
    Cheers
    John.

8. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    i was just a little curious how did the gas and oil puddle come out of the rear shock?? :rolleyes:I thought the gas was in the gas tank?? and oil in the engine ? I think the rear shock may hold about 12 ounces of oil that is sealed within? strange how that happened but good thing the warranty covered that ....:thumbsup:lol

9. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    ohh i forgot when did you take delivery of your 07? you know its feb 09 right? ok just wondering if i lost 2 years for some reason? delivery? did honda deliver your bike that is 2 years old? just wondering becuase almost every person i have ever talked to that bought any motorcycle from a deaership actually picked it up from the dealership. ?? whew glad i rode mine home so the shock did not leak gas out hate that..

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    It was leaking from the base of the shock and fully drained within a day or two. It started to leak just after the first 2 weeks I had it on the road. I'm guessing that it was a bad seal. Honda fixed it with no problems at all.

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I pre-ordered my '07 back in October of '06 and picked it up at the dealer in March of 2007. I've had the bike for 2 years now. Toe Cutter's problem with his tail light is what inspired me to start this thread to see what other problems people have seen.