replacing fork seals--recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Azamat, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Azamat

Azamat New Member

Map
    The right fork seal on my Y2K is leaking. I'm pretty much a newb, never monkeyed with the settings, I couldn't tell you the difference in suspension between a track bike and a motocrosser if they bounced off my skull...

That said, do you have any recommendations for what else I should change in there? Will aftermarket springs make a significant difference in handling? Different weight oil? ATF? I find the current setup a little soft; it dives under braking, but if it's ever bottomed out I haven't noticed.

I weigh 170ish pounds and everything is stock. Bike has 38k miles

Thanks in advance for any & all input.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Quite a few folks have upgraded their forks with Race Tech Springs (or Sonic Springs) a Race Tech Gold Valve kit, and either a Penske or Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock....the latter is pretty damn pricey....like 700-850 bones. :shocked: From what I hear, this improves the ride and handling a great deal. In my opinion, suspension is the most overlooked upgrade for most new riders. Keeping the tires planted on the ground, and the bike handling better/more nimble is a better upgrade than most anything based upon importance.

Stock suspension on jap bikes is usually designed for a ~150lb rider, so if you weigh a good deal more than that, then stiffer springs may help. You might want to grab a few books on MC suspension, and see what you need.....or contact Racetech directly and ask them for recommendations.

If you are a newb to bikes, you might want to leave this one up to the pros...as far as replacing your fork seals, and possible spring/valve upgrade. Obviously, since you have to remove the forks from the bike to drain them and work on them, it is the best time to upgrade them as well. If you want, contact your local dealer and inquire how much for a fork seal replacement and spring/valve upgrade (you supply the parts) with the forks on the bike, and the forks off the bike.. Not too hard to remove them, but if you are really uneasy about it, just bring the bike in and have them work on it.

Traxxion Dynamics is another place that you could contact for suspension and advice.

http://www.traxxion.com/

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Race_Tech_Fork_Springs_Honda_VFR800--22-RACETECH-5B.html

Race Tech Install - VFRworld

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/20766-suspension-upgrades-6th-generation.html

3. Azamat

Azamat New Member

Map
    I ordered the seals & related bits online, but I wound up just cleaning around the seal with a business card, and the leak stopped--must've been some road grime in there, which is now in the fork oil for good or ill.

By the time I replace the seals I should have some $$ for some better springs...is there a good way to figure out what to order? I'll see what wisdom the interwebs can provide. Gold Valve kit's a little pricy at the moment, and the rear shock upgrade is for when I win the lottery...

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Azamat:

go to Race Tech Inc.

to order your springs. And as Stuka said, get some books and learn how to set your suspension! It is the best thing a motorcyclist can learn. What's the best slip-on is the worst (becasue it actually does nothing in helping with handeling, they jsut sound and/or look nice)

If you need help put up a post on the board and see who's local that can show/ help you set your suspension.

My 2 cents.

BZ