Just put Shell Rotella 5w-40 to the test (actual oil analysis)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Fizz, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Oh noes, not an oil thread.

Anywho, I'm just going to copy+paste what I posted on my FZ1 forum about my experience getting Rotella tested.

[​IMG]

So, what that tells me is the the oil's doing great, the filter (Walmart ST7317) is doing decent and the additive package was doing its job fantastically (They say the TBN for diesel oils starts at about 8-9, meaning during the use I only used up half the additive package). The only thing is I'm running the oil too long and viscosity started to break down (I do a lot of intercity stop and go in addition to long freeway/twistie hauls). They compared it to 5w-30, this isn't in and of itself a horrible thing; Yamaha recommends 10/30 or 20/40 for this bike.

When I first heard of using truck oil in a bike I was skeptical, though this is proof that it's definitely up to the task.

Also, the readings are most likely as high as I have a discrepancy with my maintenance log and the mileage I wrote on the filter, but I know what I wrote on the filter is the accurate one, there's actually 450 miles extra on the sample than what I told Blackstone.

But seriously, my last oil change (with filter) was 15 dollars, well... 15.50 if you include the crush washer. I'm not complaining about a mildly higher reading, especially since I really pushed the oil beyond what I should have.

I hate to start an oil thread, but let this calm more quarrels than it starts, please! Yes, I know I'm pushing the change interval, prior to this all my changes were every 3k, I'll be going back to that from this point on.

2. hondajt

hondajt New Member

very very cool. thanks for sharing.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Its rare in an oil thread that there is actual data from an independant lab. Cant argue with that.

MD

4. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    Nice to see the actual lab test on the oil.

Now, we need lab tests on the others with around the same milage...

5. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

+1 on that. Most oil threads are hearsay and personal preference. This thread actually has test data. Thanks for posting it. Good info.

6. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    I wouldn't advise doing the same mileage I did. The oil did break down significantly, though the additive package was still VERY much intact. It is a very good oil for MC application, though my bike still did destroy the viscosity of the oil. But a lot of stop and go, weekend warrior and 2up on oil with ~5400 miles on it on a motorcycle that was only slightly over 'normal.'

Yamaha specs 4k mile changes on Dino oil. So, needless to say, if I did the 4k mile change with shell, my oil would be in PRISTINE condition.

7. 1luckydude

1luckydude New Member

I've been running Rotella for years due to a friend doing the same oil analysis from Blackstone on his bike. Got similar results.

You can spend big bucks for all them fancy, schmancy oils if ya want...but yer throwing yer money away. :crazy: I'll keep running Rotella thankyewverymuch.

Good posting.:thumbsup:

8. Flip998

Flip998 New Member

Thanks for posting, makes me feel alot better as I just did an oil change with the Rotella.:rockon:

9. jay956

jay956 New Member

im also running rotella and walmart filter. so far so good. price is great.

10. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Thank you for posting this West. I am in the habit of changing the oil (I use Rotella) every 3000-4000 miles......just the way I do things is all.

11. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Yeah, that's the sweet spot for the change on this oil. Obviously we're riding different machines and for all I know the VFR's dedicated oil cooler might prevent it from breaking down as fast.... but the numbers don't lie, you should send yours out too. haha.

But yeah, my oil cooler is actually integrated into my radiator. Not sure that's the best in terms of cooling performance, but keeps everything compact with less parts; I'll take the compromise; all that means is that I should actually change the oil when my M.O.M. told me to.

12. derstuka

Map

Well, for the amount that you are saving on oil changes...you can change your oil 3-4 times versus the expensive brands. Wally world had it for $19 bucks a gallon last time.

You gonna change at 4k or so now? I think that the VFR's gear driven cams might be harder on oil than yours (more shearing)....and that is another reason why I like changing it sooner rather than later.

BTW...off subject....might be doing a halfway meet between here and Vegas to meet up with Karen (vfrchick) on Sat with long, nardy, and raymond. Let me know if you are interested. Probably meetup around Joshua Tree or Big Bear.

13. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Saturday, yep. That's fine, as long as I came back the same day, haha.

Oh and the walmart down in murphy canyon has rotella on sale (or did when I bought it) for 11 dollars right now!!!!

14. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Perfect timing as I am in Richmond Ca. at Chevrons plant for training. I am currently running Delo LE 15w 40 and plan on having it tested when Im done in 3k miles. You are running a synthetic so I would say the results are not that great for only 4000-5000 miles. I am going to show the results to their test team tomorrow and see what they think. Ill report back.

On a side note today we saw how Rotella 15w40 stacked up to the Delo LE 15w40 on bench testing and it was NOT pretty. The Rotella failed terribly on the ball wear test and not very good on the other test as well. I would be curious to see results of the Delo after I am thru in comparison.

How much did they charge for their test and how long did it take? Thanks for the post Brian.

15. derstuka

Map
    How interesting...a Chevon oil tested at a "Chevron" facility by Chevron personnel outperformed a "Shell" oil! :rofl:

Just plug it and run it baby!

16. Rat

Rat New Member

Great info - thanks for posting the results.

I've used Rotella for years because of test info I found from CalSci (? - too lazy right now to look it up...).
    I'm glad to see that your results confirm previous info.

I've lately switched to Delo 400 and find that it "feels" better (trans & clutch) than Rotella, and independent data suggests that it contains even more important vitamins and nutrients than Rotella.

Coincidentally 3-4k miles is about when I begin to feel shifting degradation and change things out for fresh.

Bi-Mart, WalMart and others occasionally have both on sale for under $10-/gallon, and my local Bi-Mart & WalMart both carry the premium Purolator Pure One filters for about $6-.

17. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Test was 32 bucks with the TBN test. They tested it the exact same day they got it (today).

As for rotella failing, you are at a Chevron facility. Every manufacturer says their stuff is the best; they wouldn't present evidence to the contrary.

Just keep in mind my FZ1 is my daily commuter, weekend warrior and 2up bike. Seriously, I put my bike through everything, I haven't owned a car in over a year now! So there's a lot of stop and go, cold starts, clutch action, freeways, etc. As mentioned the oil has about ~5400 miles on it in actuality. As the person that did the analysis mentioned, their baseline for my model is based on a sample with 2500 miles on it, this baseline is an average of all the tests they've done on my model irregardless of the oil/filter used by others. I did more than TWICE the mileage of their baseline and as the reviewer also mentioned "Nothing is TOO high..." To be honest I don't think there's any oil that could stand up any better to what I put this oil through. However, though I make this opinion, I'm not willing to push another sample this far along to prove it.

Also keep in mind when comparing your results to mine that we're running completely different bikes and motor configurations.

18. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    moly is supposed to kill clutches. If you look at my analysis, I'm less than a quarter than the average amount of Moly. Moly is BAD BAD news for bikes with wet clutches and is intended to reduce friction in direct metal to metal contact areas, which in a properly operating lubrication system, should never happen anyway. I do believe I've heard sulphur also being problematic as I do remember from highschool chemistry that Water, Sulphur and Air combine to create sulphuric acid. I did some googling and this link says the same:

All About Motor Oil

I don't doubt moly makes a bike feel better, but I'd ask at what expense.

Oh dear, I fear we're going to get into a typical oil thread, haha!

19. Rat

Rat New Member

It's late, I'm tired.
    Perhaps I was thinking of something else - too lazy to research just now.
    I actually edited my previous post to remove those items before you posted above, as my memory seemed a bit fuzzy (a few Guinnesses - go figure...).

Yes - that's the CalSci report that I'd read some years ago, and also I believe more currently the source re: "Delo has more good stuff than Rotella".

20. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Good post. I do have a question tho....Why did you use 5w oil when as you stated you should be using a 10w oil?