Intermittent starting issues

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by thebatmovile, Mar 20, 2009.

1. thebatmovile

thebatmovile New Member

Hello, i have a 98. Every now and then it will act as if the battery is dead even though its not. It will be fine for weeks on end then all the sudden it wont crank, sometimes only a couple minutes after it just did.

Not sure how to explain it, its like in a car when the battery is low, you turn the key and the motor only turns part of a revolution and stops, like it gets stuck. It will continue to do that if i keep pushing the start button.

When this happens, the clock resets also, its like the entire bike loses voltage for a split second.

Im thinking its the starter or the starter relay. Does this sound like a common problem that someone can say xxx is your issue, or am i on my own with this one?

I have a wolf underseat exhaust and ive heard there are problems with heat, but i havent heard what issues the heat causes other than a case of the hot butt.

Thanks for your help

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hello and welcome to the forum boss! Wherebouts you located at?

Several things come to mind....

1. Bad/loose ground/connection at battery or starter (check connections for corrosion/tightness)

2. dying battery (test it with a multimeter for proper voltages, usually 12.7v or higher sitting and at idle)

3. bad/worn starter/starter clutch

4. Failing R/R or stator.

5. Also check to make sure that your headlight bypass switch is not sticking....I mean when the starter button is depressed, the headlights turn off for more juice.

About the Wolf Exhaust....lucky man...all I can say is the worst enemies to a battery are excessive cold, heat, and vibration.

I am sure that some other folks have some other ideas as well.

3. thebatmovile

thebatmovile New Member

Thanks for your help. Im in Memphis, Tn

Im pretty sure my headlight turns off when trying to start it.
    What is an R/R?

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    R/R = Regulator/Rectifier. Stator produces AC power and your R/R changes it to DC and sends it to the battery...it also regulates the amount of power sent to the battery...producing lots of heat as a byproduct as well. It is an achilles heal of the VFR...at least pre 6th gen bikes. It is located behind your left rear side cowl/panel. It looks like/is metal heatsink (with fins) looking thingy. There is a wiring harness with a connector with that plugs into it....check this for burnt/melted damage...as well as the wiring harness for damage. Many times it can look ok, but the R/R can make the bike do some screwy things when it is going out.

First and foremost....check/test the battery. Replace if need be (especially if it is old), and then check for other culprits.

5. thebatmovile

thebatmovile New Member

Thanks again, ill check some of that stuff out. Luckily the bike came with a honda service manual so it should go fairly smooth i hope.

Speaking of service manual, the wiring diagram leads me to believe the only component that is common to both the starter and the clock is the starter relay and the actual start switch, but it sounds like the RR can cause wierd problems too

I know the battery is good because i just replaced it last time i had this problem. After replacing the battery it worked fine for a long time but now yesterday the problem is back