Bleeding brakes-replacing fluids - VF500

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by rob2218, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

how difficult is it to bleed out the brake fluid for the front and rear brakes of a HOnda VF500 interceptor?
    my brakes are getting "dark" and the brake lever is, well, I think I need to change the brake fluid in the brakes.

what's involved in this task?

2. Mac

Mac New Member

I did it this afternoon on my '06. It was my first time foolin' with linked breaks. I changed the bleeders to speed bleeders, and was riding again in in just over four hours.
    Should be a strait forward job on an older bike. Have a friend pump the master cylinders while you open and close the bleeders. Plenty of "how to's" on this forum, and on VFRD.
    Search it out, you can do it.

Mac

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Not too bad, just take the tops off the reservoirs remove the fluid that's in there, don't pump the brakes until you add new fluid to the reservoir. Use a towel to soak up and wipe down the inside of the reservoir, add new fluid and pump and bleed the brakes until you see new fluid coming out the bleeders. Since you haven't let any air into the system it's the work of a few minutes to finish. Be careful not to spill any brake fluid as it is very harmful to paint and plastic, and don't let the level get too low in the reservoir.

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    To make quick work of the bleeding process, you might want to consider using a brake bleeder. Doing it manually can take some time and patience. A bleeder can have it done in minutes.

5. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

brake bleeder? what does that do? and at what spot along the line do you "connect' the brake bleeder??? do you guys have any pictures of what a "brake bleeder" looks like?

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    This is JMO, but if you're not familiar with a brake bleeder, aka MityVac or something similar, you can dig yourself a pretty deep hole in a hurry. It's very easy to introduce air into the lines if you don't have a good seal at the bleed bolts. DAMHIKIJK. :smile:

7. volks6000

volks6000 New Member

United States
    Map
    you can get a self bleeder from autozone it's cheap then do it yourself I did.

8. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

For the first timer, I would bleed the brakes the old fashioned way. As you get more experienced, a Mity-Vac is a good investment.

9. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I think the benefit of using a brake bleeder depends on the job at hand. I recently rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder on my 750 and after trying to refill the line and bleeding it manually, I gave up after an hour. After opting to use a brake bleeder, the job was done in 3 minutes.

If you opt to use a brake bleeder, it connects to the fitting that sits on top of the clutch slave cylinder assembly (for the clutch) and for the brakes, there is a fitting on the caliper. I picked up a Mity Vac unit at NAPA for around $50. It was worth the investment as I have 4 bikes and am sick of bleeding brakes and clutches the old fashioned way.

10. jay956

jay956 New Member

today i changed my clutch and brake fluid. i was looking at a mityvac, but ended up getting a bleeder from harbor freight for $25, its a nice metal one not the plastic mityvac.

it was so easy to do, it was my first time doing this and i would never want to use another method.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    the old-fashoned method still works fine.
    an 8mm box end and a clear tube that fits snugly on the bleed screw.....

12. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

Do any of you use Speed Bleeder valves? I've been thinking of getting a set.